Father’s Day Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokehouse Bob

Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
Central Florida
Did a 9.5 lb Boston Butt overnight for lunch on Father’s Day. The results were very tasty. This was the first overnight cook with my new smoker And the first Boston Butt smoked in it as well (first cook was chicken which was very good). I pulled it from the smoker when internal temp hit 175, wrapped it in a couple layers of heavy foil, set it in a dry cooler and covered with a bunch of towels. It stayed like that for close to serving time (2 hours). The bone pulled out of it easily and meat was still hot. Everyone loved it and we have plenty for the week even though we shard a big chunk with some neighbors.

Attachments

• 9F7A0C61-D6F2-4900-BB28-790968ABD72E.jpeg
    9F7A0C61-D6F2-4900-BB28-790968ABD72E.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DDB714AF-8D45-4EF2-BF02-20594A1F5424.jpeg
    DDB714AF-8D45-4EF2-BF02-20594A1F5424.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Johnny Ray
Looks great and welcome to the site, I am surprised the bone pulled out easy at that temp, most times it takes 200+/- to pull properly

Reactions: TNJAKE
That does seem low for it to be finished but if it turn out good, that’s what’s important. Some pieces of meat have there own special “personality” and finish differently. Looks great!

Looks great and welcome to the site, I am surprised the bone pulled out easy at that temp, most times it takes 200+/- to pull properly
I agree about the bone pulling but I think resting in the foil wrap in a well-insulated cooler for as long as it did helped with that. That’s my guess.

Looks pretty good from where I'm sittin' Bob. I'm guessing it must have toothpick probed pretty tender at 175º for you to be pulling? RAY

Reactions: Smokehouse Bob
Looks pretty good from where I'm sittin' Bob. I'm guessing it must have toothpick probed pretty tender at 175º for you to be pulling? RAY
It was cooked to the level of doneness that I wanted this time around... I wanted to serve it in slices and chunks, not as pulled or shredded pork. The one I’m doing tomorrow will be for pulled pork sandwiched with the grandkids so It will cook until it hits 198 or 200 before wrapping and resting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky