Fat to meat ratio in Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Let's give this another look . I have made 4 different snack stick recipe's using P&S seasonings and 80/20 ground beef and none have turned out good !! My buddy just made some pepperoni sticks using Legg's 207 seasoning and a 50/50 mixture of venison and pork chops and it turned out great ! I know I need to keep records of trial and error to learn what works best but I want to hear from some seasoned experts why the ground beef isn't as good ? I want to use Elk and pork. For the fat I have three options. 1 Pork trim 2 Pork butt 3 pork loin . So let's figure a 50/50 ratio using one of these three with the Elk meat ! Which one will turn out the best?

I'm no expert but explain what wasn't good on first four tries? Do you have pics of them? I would say go with pork butt...usually they are about 80/20. Loin is too lean.
Just recently went through the same thing, so I know it's frustrating!

Ryan

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Yup. Got (5) 100-130# deer in the freezer now...185# of meat. A large part of that will be ground meat when processing day rolls around Feb. 2023. Just need a couple wild hogs and the freezers will be full again....

How many pounds of meat total did you get off that big spike elk?

I'm no expert but explain what wasn't good on first four tries? Do you have pics of them? I would say go with pork butt...usually they are about 80/20. Loin is too lean.
Just recently went through the same thing, so I know it's frustrating!

I took the 80/20 burger right out of the 3 pound chubs it came in and followed the instructions . It came out with some fat out but the flavor wasn't there . The pictures were in my previous posts and they look good but the taste isn't there . I agree on the loin but thats what my buddy used and they were great ! He called them fatty pork chops but that's the loin with maybe some more fat . Just what you buy at the grocery store.

If you’re using lean wild game use 50/50 to porkbutt. I buy the boneless porkbutts and grind the fat cap and all. I’ve made summer sausage from 80/20 burger and it seemed to work fine. What temp are you cooking it to?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky