Fat Content for Summer Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmyinsd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I am going to try summer sausage for the first time and want to use up some venison as part of the product. I have ground pork that is roughly 75-80% lean, as well as ground beef that is likely in the 85-90% lean, can anybody offer a good mixture from what I have on hand or should I be looking to get some beef or pork fat to grind in with it?

Also any good basic recipes would be great. I want a traditional SS taste, but I dont want to get into peppers or cheeses at this time.

Any help would be appreciated. I borrowed a mes 30 to hang them in, ordered a Amazen 5x8 to throw in there so I can get better smoke than what most fight with the factory chip design. ( if this goes ok I plan on buying a mes40 and will likely do some sort of mail box mod.)

I like the 80/20 meat to fat ratio for making sausage (which would include summer sausage).
It makes consistently great sausage, the math is simple (4 pounds meat + 1 pound fat = 5 pounds sausage; 8 pounds meat + 2 pounds fat = 10 pounds of sausage; make 5-10 pound increments from there) and if you ever need to experiment you can buy 80/20 beef already in those proportions.

Almost all of my sausage comes from the 5-7 wild animals I take each year during hunting season so I do a lot of venison sausage. Because of this I simply just buy Trimmed Pork Back Fat from the butcher to mix with my pure Venison or pure feral Hog meat (rarely much fat on them) grinds.

I am biased because it makes the math simple, uses only my hunted meat, and creates a good consistent sausage every time, SO I lean towards buying fat separate and then going 80/20 meat/fat and making the sausage that way. It never goes wrong, unless there is a mess up with the seasoning or cooking lol!

If you want to use what you have on hand, I would use the fattiest cut you have. If you are already at 80/20 and you add more meat you will be modifying the ratio. I wouldn't drop below 15% fat and I personally wouldn't exceed 25% fat in my sausage unless is was one that called for a lot of fat like Mexican Chorizo.

I don't have any recipe info for you so others can chime in there.
I hope this info helps! :)

Reactions: jimmyinsd
JI, I would use the pork and go about 4 parts venison to 1 part pork, maybe a hair more on the pork.I cheat and use a SS mix from the Sausage maker and add fermento.Hit the search bar above to see all kinds of tips/recipes for SS. Have fun !

Reactions: jimmyinsd
I mix 73% with deer making it about 14% and that is pretty good, but could be higher. I used 80% making it batch 10% and that was too dry. I would stay at 15% - 20%

I am thinking I am going to go 5# Venison, 5# of ground pork (20-25% fat) , and 2# of ground beef (10 to15% fat) it will be 10#, but I will end up with about 1 to 2 pounds left in the stuffer neck and tube so I am hoping for about 10# of cased product with a fat content of approx 13% for my first go at it.

anybody got a simple goto recipe for me to try? I have the buttermilk powder, but no citric acid stuff. what about milk powder, yes or no in the SS?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky