Fast Eddy PG 1000 troubles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Randall Root

Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
New here and at my wits end. I purchased a Fast Eddy PG 1000 $3600, I thought if I spent the money I would get a great product, well I guess I was wrong. The pellet smoker does not hold temp, last night I set it to 170 and came back 20 min later and it was down to 122 so I bumped up to 225 and it went to 330. FYI I'm using their pellets. My friend has a Recteq RT 700 and he says it stays within 5 degrees

I think I would contact the company & see what they say.
I am not familiar with your smoker, but it sounds like the controller or the temp sensor needs to be replaced.
Al
I've contacted them twice and they just say to change HHT & LHT settings.

From the manual
" These grills have a wide variance in temperatures. You might want to change the settings to suit your smoking and grilling needs. "

So it appears you need to fine tune the HHT and LHT settings

Reactions: Randall Root
From the manual
" These grills have a wide variance in temperatures. You might want to change the settings to suit your smoking and grilling needs. "

So it appears you need to fine tune the HHT and LHT settings
I've changed them 3 times already per their instructions and now they are telling to me to change again. I don't know if they are just blowing smoke up my ass or not.

20 minutes is a very short time frame. I find with my smoker (PID controlled Electric) that I get large temperature swings when I first start it up, each sequential on/off cycle the swings are smaller. Depending upon the ambient temperature it might take 2 hours to heat everything up before the cabinet temperature stabilize.

I've changed them 3 times already per their instructions and now they are telling to me to change again. I don't know if they are just blowing smoke up my ass or not.
Set it at 225 and don’t look at it for an hour - then see where it’s at

I suspect this is unlikely to be your problem, but here goes: The only time I used a FastEddy (a FEC100) was at a BBQ class. Mine kept shutting down, and the two times I didn't catch it quickly, the temperature dropped A LOT. The guys running the class concluded that the voltage drop over the looooonnnnnggg extension cord running to the cook site was too great, and it kept crashing the controller.

I suspect this is unlikely to be your problem, but here goes: The only time I used a FastEddy (a FEC100) was at a BBQ class. Mine kept shutting down, and the two times I didn't catch it quickly, the temperature dropped A LOT. The guys running the class concluded that the voltage drop over the looooonnnnnggg extension cord running to the cook site was too great, and it kept crashing the controller.
no ext. cord

Verify temps with an additional thermometer ? And yes let it go for about an hour and see if it settled in before making adjustments. Document and if still issues, make the dreaded phone call again. Best of luck !

I have a cheap pellet pooper. I've learned to let it go for an hour to get the temps settled in and all the metal elements warmed.
I also make only 10° to 20° changes on the controller to reduce the wild temperature swings.
no ext. cord
@Smoke-Chem BBQ may be on to a possible cause of the problems. Plugging directly into an outlet does not mean you don't have voltage drop. Distance from your load center (breaker or fuse panel) is the key. The actual wiring may be longer than an extension cord.
I used to RV a lot. I carried a voltmeter with me to test the voltage in campsites at the power pedestal.
I would plug in a hair dryer and check voltage. Anything above 100v was good

Well I would be not so happy as well. I would stay after their support team and work on it as best you can. Like your friend I have a rec teq and it doesn’t sway in temp much at all.

AND Welcome to SMF. Hope your smoker settles down for ya

New here and at my wits end. I purchased a Fast Eddy PG 1000 $3600, I thought if I spent the money I would get a great product, well I guess I was wrong. The pellet smoker does not hold temp, last night I set it to 170 and came back 20 min later and it was down to 122 so I bumped up to 225 and it went to 330. FYI I'm using their pellets. My friend has a Recteq RT 700 and he says it stays within 5 degrees
Fast Eddy himself is stopping by tomorrow to replace control panel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky