fan in smoker???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

killnsmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
st.louis MO
does anybody have a small fan in their smoker for coldsmoking or dehydrating???  i am designing mine now and want it to be  muti-tasker.  i am going to have a 18" x 36" x 36" "hot smoking" chamber (electric) and a small smoke generating chamber on the side.  i was going to direct the smoking into the big chamber with a fan.  any thoughts????

I have read a few posts where they were talking about a fan to move air when doing jerky etc. but I don't know the specifics behind it. I know the moving air helps to dry out the meat and helps move along the process. I would be worried about the fan burning out if you are hot smoking though. Maybe if its in a different compartment like you said then the heat wouldn't effect it. Not saying you would be using it while hot smoking but just the fact that the heat could hurt the fan if it isn't made for that environment. I have never researched fans so I don't know it's just something that came to mind.

I recently built a cold smoker using a cooling fan from a computer. Since it was 12v dc. and I did not want to hassle with batteries, I rigged it using the power supply from a cordless phone (power supply was 9v output, but don't think running a couple r.p.m. slower made any difference. Resounding success, smoked for 8 hrs. tempature never went over *80f, and smoke kept flowing. B.t.w. while I was at it I cooked dinner in hot burner portion, don't want to be wastefull
icon_biggrin.gif

Seems to me someone had a post a while back for using a heating duct pusher fan with a dimmer switch for moving the air in the smoker while cold smoking.

They are 110 volt  around $20

I've got a 4" duct fan on a speed control in the new smoker I'm building but have a heat issue so haven't done any hot smoke yet.  Did a test run and worked great to pull the smoke into the main box from the smoke generator box.

Last edited:
killnsmoke, Send a pm to nepas, he is working on a sausage smoker and has built several smokers and knows what to do and what not to do electrically speaking, I am sure he can help you out on this matter.

Your Smoking Friend

Barry

I've got a 4" duct fan on a speed control in the new smoker I'm building but have a heat issue so haven't done any hot smoke yet.  Did a test run and worked great to pull the smoke into the main box from the smoke generator box.
where do you have your fan located

cb2d3377_insidesmokegenerator.jpg
Hopefully a picture saays a thousand words.  I used a speed control to regulate the motor speed.  Basically just fast enough that the smoke doesn't come out the generator box, about half speed.
where do you have your fan located

I've used a fan in my MES 30" smoker when making jerky or cold smoking
38292e66_CIMG6242.jpg
to keep air circulating well.  The only problem I've had was the fan cause the chips in my cold smoke generator to catch fire.
7a1be5ae_CIMG6235.jpg

yeah, that is what i was thinking to use it for....jerky and cold smoking.  i like the idea of drawing air out of the stack.  thanks for the pics!!

Only have about 8 hours of smoke run threw the fan so far and seems to be fine.  If I close up the vent on the main box I can JAM alot of smoke into the box and really lay it on HEAVY

i'm going to go with a fan, my design will work better with a fan i think.  how big is your smoker you are working on??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky