Extending the Oklahoma joe chimney stack question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Increasing from a small opening will not help much you will need to eliminate the restriction. I cannot recall what size was original but the 4" is 24" tall.
I was just thinking about this yesterday.....tossing the stock pipe and going with a wide one. My Old Country Brazos has a 6 inch wide pipe. It sucks that air!! It also has a smaller opening between firebox and main chamber. Kudos on the mod. 

Last edited:
Well, I believe my piece of crap ok joe is making some pretty good BBQ. And maybe you can save the money for me and by a 1200 smoker for me.
Sorry man but my question was for the builder......I actually had this smoker. It leaked like hell out of the box and never really fit correctly. Finally broke down and had a metal guy weld it all up and re-bend and shape the doors. It had to be done a certain way as when it was welded the first try, the outside of the main chamber was coming off. It was held on by a metal bonded glue and buckled from the high heat of the welding. He had to remove all of that and redo the whole side with real welds. But from what I found even after that was still troubling. The single air vent was not enough come to find out and temps still kept fluctuating all over the place even after I added a top vent on the top part of the firebox. Had baffle plate and convection plate also installed. Came to the conclusion it was a metal thickness problem. Because my Brinkmann Cimmeran never acted this way. What was the difference? The steel!!! Only reason I no longer have the Brinkmann is it was damaged in a car wreck coming back from the beach in Cali when I used to live there. Was in the back of a trailer and it went flying over a mountain cliff when the trailer tongue snapped. I broke down and took a trip to Texas when I visited a friend and brought back an Old Country unit from Uvalco out of Uvalde TX. Did not have to mod one thing. Paid 689 as it was on end of fall clearance. Thick 3/16 steel like most Yoder smokers and consistent heat and air moving. 

Pretty cool!
Maybe some people here could open shops up and be Smoker Dr. And fix peoples smokers for like a side job.
Charge like a Mechanic would.

I bet most people wouldn't believe how much it would cost to fix their smokers up to work right.. Some wouldn't be worth hauling to be fixed. Lol

Reactions: joes bbq ribs
Pretty cool!
Maybe some people here could open shops up and be Smoker Dr. And fix peoples smokers for like a side job.
Charge like a Mechanic would.

I bet most people wouldn't believe how much it would cost to fix their smokers up to work right.. Some wouldn't be worth hauling to be fixed. Lol
I have repaired some pretty rugged ones lol.

Reactions: joes bbq ribs
Increasing the length of an already too small diameter exhaust usually results in stalled smoke because it cools as it climbs. In my opinion you would be better off increasing the diameter of the exhaust to let the cooker breathe. I cut the 3" off my son-in-laws and added a 4" plus tuning plates and reduced the opening into the firebox the results were amazing.

I hope this helps.

Here are some pics of what I did.

I just did this exact mod along with welding everything else that was only bolted before, adding extra 1/4 plate to the inside of the fire box for better insulation, and cutting an extra vent above the firebox door, and it worked like a charm. Perfect draw, super clean smoke, way better temp and fuel consumption, and with tuning plates end to end temps within 5 degrees each other. Now I have a decent pit! $300 for the Ok Joe, and a couple hundred bucks in supplies, bit of time. Totally worth it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky