Experiment: Wannabe Shooters Smoked Beef Sausage- Need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
South Louisiana
Sandy and I use to buy Ecrich smoked beef sausage back in Missouri.  While I make sausage I have not tried to replace an old favorite which is hard to find from time to time locally.  Below is a recipe I have come up with that is todate untried.  I used the new software I and Scarebelly have been evaluating to put the recipe into proper format so I can make changes quickly and easily. 

Any advice as to the ratios and procedures from the old hats appreciated.

Shooters Smoked Beef Sausage

10 lbs  beef chuck
1.5 tsp ground ginger
4 tsp sage
4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 tsp white pepper
3 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs thyme
1 pint ice water
10 tsp Tender Quick Cure or 2 tsp Cure #1
1 cup soy concentrate

1. Grind the beef chuck through a 1/8 inch plate.  Make sure to keep the ground meat cold during the entire process.

2. Mix all dry ingredients into the chilled water and mix into the ground beef well.  Do a fry test for season.

3. Stuff into 35-38 mm hog casings and hold in the refrigerator 12 hours.

4. Place in a 140F smoker for 1 hr and gradually raise the smoker temperature to 160F.  Smoke until the internal temp of the sausage is 145F.  Chill in a cold water bath and then air dry the sausage at room temperature 1-2 hours until desired bloom is achieved.  Package and freeze.

Servings: 40
Yield: 10 lbs

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/40 of a recipe (2.7 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. 3 of the recipe's ingredients were not linked. These ingredients are not included in the recipe nutrition data.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 265.29
Calories From Fat (73%) 192.44
% Daily Value
Total Fat 21.34g 33%
Saturated Fat 8.95g 45%
Cholesterol 63.6mg 21%
Sodium 39.45mg 2%
Potassium 141.5mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 1.4g <1%
Fiber 0.2g <1%
Sugar 1.15g
Protein 15.8g 32%

Tips
If cure #1 is used add 6 Tbs kosher salt.

I don't consider myself an expert but the amount of sugar and kosher salt (I don't use TQ) seems a little on the high side to me. So does the soy protein concentrate. This is of course without ever having tried the recipe so it is just a guess. 

Last edited:
It's tough to comment with out knowing what the original tasted like.  The spice blend sounds good,  I just spoiled a batch with to much ginger but yours should be good. Not so sure about the nutmeg though, it seems high to me.

As far as the soy goes, it's about 3% of the recipe and I think Len Poli recommends 1.5-2%

You also need to adjust the yield amount  to account for the water and spices, I'd bet its 11 plus pounds, which is a few more sausages you could send me.
icon_wink.gif

I think you need to mix 'er up and see what happens Rick. I'm looking forward to the new creation!

What's this software you're talking about Rick?

Last edited:
Maybe somebody can help me out here, I'm not a TQ user. Is the 10 tsp what you would usually use for a 10 # batch of cured sausage? I don't think thats enough salt. (never thought I'd say that) I come up with 42 grams or a little less then 1% for the 10# batch. Thats what I'd use for 5 pounds. On the other hand the 2tsp of cure #1 and 6 Tbs of Kosher salt weighs in at 82 grams or almost 2%

Can someone confirm the weight of 10 tsp of TQ for me, maybe my source  is wrong.

Dan the software can be found at http://www.livingcookbook.com/  .  There is a trial version for free till 30 days. 

I have already gone back and adjusted the soy to 1/2 cup after looking at similar size recipes in Ryteks book.  The salt content I can change at a fry test if it is too light but not sure yet.

Also the yield was a guess to plug into the software but you are probably correct at 11 lbs is closer.

Mind you I am guessing at all this also to get to the desired clone.  LOL  I imagine I will make a 5lbs batch test the first couple times and adjust from there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky