End Of Season Prime Rib Feast (Tons Of Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As much of a melee as the past three weeks have been, I did find time to eat one meal...only one but I made it a nice one :emoji_laughing: Had a full 103 sub primal rib section in the fridge and decided to invite a few friends over for a season ending dinner. Things were starting to cool down but the pool was still perfect so the timing seemed right. Invited 14 people, 11 were able to make it. Weather was gorgeous and the stars aligned for the perfect environment.

The roast: several pics of the break-down process. This one was a bit smaller than most in the past. It was right at 24 pounds.
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

I marinated it for 2 days in a mixture of beef broth, beef gravy, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and garlic powder. It did take on some color.
034.jpg

Seasoned with a ton of black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Time for the smoker. Smoker is at 250 and using cherry wood. I'm anticipating a 5 hour cook.
035.jpg

As soon as the roast went on, I made a batch of Cajun crab dip for an appetizer.
037.jpg

A batch of my beloved sour cream & onion rolls proofing in the sunshine out on the patio.
038.jpg

About 45 minutes in. Bark is not quite where I want it yet.
039.jpg

Rolls proofed and onto the grill to cook.
041.jpg

The appetizer spread. Folks brought WAY more than we'd ever need. A 7-layer Mexican dip, chips, mango tarts, shrimp and cocktail sauce, crab dip and crackers.
042.jpg

Here we are at about an hour and fifteen minutes. Bark is starting to firm up so time to drop the smoker temp to 180.
043.jpg

Rolls all done.
044.jpg

Shut the smoker down when the roast hit 125 and cracked the door to slow / stop the cooking. It maxed out at 132.
045.jpg

Close up. Blurry pic but you can see the perfect edge to edge pink I was shooting for.
046.jpg

The whole spread. Some cheesy potatoes that Jodi did, grilled asparagus that Craig brought, a white cheddar cream sauce I made for the asparagus, au jus that I made, and a nice salad Tracy put together. The rolls were missed in this pic but they did make an appearance just in time for dinner.
047.jpg

Finally and alas, it's time to eat. My first trip through the chow line.
048.jpg

Some happy folks today. The PR was exquisite and perfectly cooked. All of the sides worked beautifully with the meat and it was just an excellent meal. Truth be told though, it never would have happened if not for the offerings that other folks brought. At the outset the only thing I had to do was smoke the PR. I did decide to do the other stuff but all of those things only took a few minutes each so no big deal. What a great way to end the Summer season as within a couple days of this meal, the pool had dropped in temp to the point it was chilly for me and off limits for Tracy. It seems as though I missed some stuff in this missive but I think I hot on all the high points. The pool was heavily utilized due to it being a hundred degrees and the adult libations did flow :emoji_wink:

Gonna call this one a wrap. No sense eating up any additional bandwidth for my first post back with the SMF family :emoji_laughing:

Robert

What a beautiful prime rib and fantastic looking meal, Robert!! I'm glad to see that you've found time from your busy schedule, or melee as you put it, to post again as I was wondering what had happened to you...:emoji_wink: Life is too short to let work get in the way of family, friends, fun, and cooking...someone may accuse you of being a "one trick pony"...:emoji_laughing:

Lovely PR Robert! ...and the entire spread, definitely fit for a fun time. Truly appreciate the write up. I always get great ideas reading them. Thanks a bunch!

What a spread Robert, perfection all the way around as usual.

Our pool season is over, closed it last week just before the remnants of the hurricane dumped on us for 4 days. Do you close your pool in the winter or just crank up a heater?

Back in the saddle again... or should I say back at the smoker again.
Great job Robert, nice to finish off the season with good friends and
good food.
I myself don't care for the end of the summer season, as it means putting away all the fun things
and we had to put it away couple weeks early because of the hurricane that hit this area, but not as
bad as Florida received ( well parts of our area did , just not Mona and I.

David

What a beautiful prime rib and fantastic looking meal, Robert!! I'm glad to see that you've found time from your busy schedule, or melee as you put it, to post again as I was wondering what had happened to you
I very much appreciate the kind words Charles. It's nice to be back, at least to some degree. I've missed my friends here and the camaraderie we all share.

Robert

Lovely PR Robert! ...and the entire spread, definitely fit for a fun time. Truly appreciate the write up. I always get great ideas reading them. Thanks a bunch!
Thanks very much Matt. Was a nice dinner and nice to be able to post it. As you know though, I tend to do some pretty long posts at times :emoji_laughing: Not sure what sort of ideas you'll get from this one but hopefully there's something in there to gain.

Robert

You didn't lose your touch. Wonderful looking meal Robert.

Point for sure
Chris

What a spread Robert, perfection all the way around as usual.
Very much appreciate it Cliff!! The PR was easy. It was all the side dishes that really made the meal.
Our pool season is over, closed it last week just before the remnants of the hurricane dumped on us for 4 days. Do you close your pool in the winter or just crank up a heater?
I don't technically "close" the pool, just stop using it when the water temp drops below about 76. No heater installed. Did some research on that as we started building it. I'm close to 25,000 gallons and it'd take over $1000 a month in propane to keep it warm. That's a big chunk so decided to forego the heater.

Robert

Holy smoked PR Batman! That pic of the cutting board…. Slice after slice presented and there still 1/2 a roast left to slice!

Very nice looking plate there!!!!

great picture story and the food looks amazing!! thanks for sharing it!
Thanks so much. Don't know that it's a great story but glad you enjoyed it. The pics did come out well though and made for a decent presentation here.

Robert

Very much appreciate it Cliff!! The PR was easy. It was all the side dishes that really made the meal.

I don't technically "close" the pool, just stop using it when the water temp drops below about 76. No heater installed. Did some research on that as we started building it. I'm close to 25,000 gallons and it'd take over $1000 a month in propane to keep it warm. That's a big chunk so decided to forego the heater.

Robert
We went with a heat pump aka electric, although my bills are about $1100/mo in the summer. I close it now as the leaves are falling and the heat pump does not heat when the ambient temp is below 55 deg. It is over 20 years old and should be replaced with a more efficient unit, I am going to look into one that is a heater/chiller to keep the temps at about 86 all summer.

What a Spread, Robert!!
And a Fantastic Prime Rib you got there---Perfect!!
Nice Job, as always!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky