Emergency help needed! Open fire beef ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Primerib

Original poster
May 31, 2018
Hi gang, the subject line says it all. Have some company coming into town this weekend, one of the guys really wants to try to cook a rack of beef ribs, low and slow (as we can), over an open fire/coals. Despite a plethora of grills and smokers around here, he’s deadset in trying this “in the Argentinian style”. I have space and land, he doesn’t, so my house it is. Problem is, neither of us has ever done it, and I’m the only one who seems aware of the inherent risks (dry, over cooked/burned ribs). Any ideas for a setup in a pinch?

I think we’re getting a little late to ask a friend to weld together an asado cross, I’m seriously considering just stacking cinder blocks above the campfire pit and putting my Weber 26” kettle grate on top. If things get too hot, one of us can lift the meat while the other puts more cinder blocks in. Maverick temp probe on the grate. Separate fire going on the side to have more hot coals ready to shovel in, lump charcoal and a chimney starter as a backup. What could go wrong? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I think I’ll have something going in the smoker as backup.

But seriously, if anyone has ever tried this, I’d really love some input.

You have some big words in there that I don't know what they are...Argentinian style, asado cross? But I do know this...

20220702_181554.jpg

These two little Cornish hens were tasty! 1/4 turn every 15 minutes. By hand, nothing motorized here.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky