Electric masterbuilt 30 in.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you add an AMNPS pellet tray, you should be able to burn wood pellets (or sawdust) for about 10 hours, unattended.

The tray is about $30, there is a lot of discussion here about them.

I think that's the most practical approach (that I've heard of, at least) to getting long periods of smoke, with minimal interaction or babysitting.

Blackie -  The only "mistake" you may have made (debatable) is buying a Masterbuilt w Masterbuilt electronics.

Masterbuilt is more than fine, probably best selling smoker line in US.

The "housing" (Unit itself), and racks, etc are best "Bang for Buck"

BUT, the electronics, uhhh, not so good.

They are apparently built on a Chinese shoestring budget, evidenced by MANY performance problems.

Some will say "I have one, used a 100 times, and all ok"

Sure, but the % of owners w problems is LARGE.

Substantially innacurate temp readings are common, and other problems less so, but definitely happen.

Keep studying this Forum under "electric smokers" mostly, you will see yourself.

Marc
How about "I used mine a Thousand times & have no problems".

Sure you see problems people have had with MES units, however if any other electric smoker was sold to as many people as the MES has been, you would see at least as many problems with them.

Blackie:

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch----Other suggestions above are good.

As for the Water pan, I just cover mine with foil, and wash & recover when needed (Maybe once every 10 to 20 smokes depending on what your smoking)

I also cover the floor with foil, but never cover racks with anything.

I would definitely look into the AMNPS (5" X 8" Maze Tray) for making smoke. Fill it, Light one end, and get perfect smoke for up to 11 straight hours. One Row = 3 1/2 hours of smoke.

An MES and an AMNPS is truly a Match made in Smoker Heaven.

Here's some of the things you can do with that MES you got:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Last edited:
Where do you usually lay the AMNPS in the MES?
Depends on which MES Generation:

Gen #1-------on the support rods to the left of the Chip Burner Assembly.

Gen #2.5----On the bottom rack, right end, just above where the dumper comes through the wall. Then you can pull the dumper out 2" for more air flow, & push bit back in for less air flow.

Bear

Thanks for the advice. I had another question.i know a common criticism with the electric smokers is the lack of smoke ring on brisket. Will you get a smoke ring on the brisket with the extra smoke from the AMNPS?

No. The smoke ring is apparently due to an interaction of the meat with combustion by-products. Smoking chips or pellets apparently doesn't make enough of those to produce a smoke ring.

There is a discussion thread in this forum about trying to produce a smoke ring with electric, if you want to read through more info. But it seemed like, no, the pellets won't be enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky