Electric element, PID advise needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
Hey everyone. I’m just in the middle of tearing down an old GE fridge and planning for what I’m gonna do next. My plan is to put an electric element at the bottom and control it with a PID. I’d like to have the capability to get up to 400°, even tho I will rarely use that temp.

For the oven element there are lots available on Amazon, etc. Is there a certain kind I should be looking for? I’ve researched many other builds but the type of element is often different and the poster simply states which one the are using without mentioning why.

As for the PID, the Auber website is a bit overwhelming. Some are listed to use with Bradley smokers, etc, and some I don’t even understand what the difference is. I’m sure someone here has experience and can simplify what I need for my build. I’d rather get it right the first time then have regrets down the road. Thx in advance.

jeff C172CB9D-2406-4D5E-8085-875FFD9609AA.jpeg

I have this Auber PID that i run my TSM smoker on. It just has a temp probe (for cabinet temp) My 1000w element i wired and it plugs into the back of the pid...easy peasy

IMG_0678.jpg

Reactions: Winterrider
Hey everyone. I’m just in the middle of tearing down an old GE fridge and planning for what I’m gonna do next. My plan is to put an electric element at the bottom and control it with a PID. I’d like to have the capability to get up to 400°, even tho I will rarely use that temp.

For the oven element there are lots available on Amazon, etc. Is there a certain kind I should be looking for? I’ve researched many other builds but the type of element is often different and the poster simply states which one the are using without mentioning why.

As for the PID, the Auber website is a bit overwhelming. Some are listed to use with Bradley smokers, etc, and some I don’t even understand what the difference is. I’m sure someone here has experience and can simplify what I need for my build. I’d rather get it right the first time then have regrets down the road. Thx in advance.

jeffView attachment 472756

Do you think the cabinet will take 400 F? That was designed for cooling. Any rubber or plastic in the construction will not survive those temperatures.

What is the cabinet insulating material? Will that take the heat? How about the paint?

I am not trying to discourage you from building this. I just think running a fridge cabinet at 400 F will bring you issues.

If you want an off the shelf solution, you could buy a MES 800 W replacement element.

PID controllers are fairly simple. A thermal probe tracks temperature and the PID output runs the AC to the heating element.

See pic below.

The thermocouple (silver wire) goes inside the cabinet.

The wire with the red terminals goes to the heater element then plugs into the PID controller. (Black Cat AC controller shown in photo)

JC :emoji_cat:

MES_kit 02.jpg

MES_kit 05.jpg
:emoji_cat:

Do you think the cabinet will take 400 F? That was designed for cooling. Any rubber or plastic in the construction will not survive those temperatures.

What is the cabinet insulating material? Will that take the heat? How about the paint?

I am not trying to discourage you from building this. I just think running a fridge cabinet at 400 F will bring you issues.

If you want an off the shelf solution, you could buy a MES 800 W replacement element.

PID controllers are fairly simple. A thermal probe tracks temperature and the PID output runs the AC to the heating element.

See pic below.

The thermocouple (silver wire) goes inside the cabinet.

The wire with the red terminals goes to the heater element then plugs into the PID controller. (Black Cat AC controller shown in photo)

JC :emoji_cat:

View attachment 472793

View attachment 472794 :emoji_cat:
I have removed the insulation and all plastic parts. I’m in the process of stripping the tar out of the shell. I’ll attach a few pics.
Your question about the paint is one ive asked in another post. The inside is painted but I’m unsure if I should strip that as well. Some of the other builds I’ve followed seem to leave it. 1B96C798-AFF0-4525-AA7B-A0227615E4A2.jpeg 1B96C798-AFF0-4525-AA7B-A0227615E4A2.jpeg 7FA5C0EB-7A4D-4DC4-B85E-304EF46A7EC4.jpeg 241E0505-8E5C-4502-8290-826610FFBB72.jpeg

Reactions: JC in GB
I use a River Country electric element and it hits close to 400 but I have as much Roxul as I could stuff between the shell and the inner tub. I have only brought it up to 200 or so for anything I have cooked. Usually parked at 120 to 150 for smoked sausages and bellies and so forth. It has an electric frying pan controller that I set the heat with. It is a little finnicky but it works. I do not have a controller set up for it yet.

For that size cabinet, I'd consider a 1000-1200 watt element, unless someone can chime in and tell me why not. Yes for Auber PID.

I assume a vent will be installed?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky