Edited: Cook time on a 5-6lb brisket point

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
I’m just throwing it out there. Got some friends coming over next week and I won’t have time to cook a whole brisket so I was thinking of separating the point and flat and if I had time cooking up the point for burnt ends. Plan on eating at 6 so I’d have from noon to six to cook. Enough time or don’t bother. Gonna throw some wings on there too for a little app to eat earlier.

edit: I’ve got some great advice but I just don’t have time to pull it off the right way so. Ribs and smoked wings it is. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
I’m just throwing it out there. Got some friends coming over next week and I won’t have time to cook a whole brisket so I was thinking of separating the point and flat and if I had time cooking up the point for burnt ends. Plan on eating at 6 so I’d have from noon to six to cook. Enough time or don’t bother. Gonna throw some wings on there too for a little app to eat earlier.
Smarter people than I will surely provide input, but I would say 6 hours to cook and properly rest is not enough time. Maybe if you cook at 300°.

Can be done.
Whatcha got for a cooker?

it’s a master built 4 shelf upright propane. It normally cooks between 275-300 deg. Even on low that’s about where I keep it. And the point may actually be smaller I’m just basing it off a 12lb brisket which is the size I usually get.

It's not about the size/weight, it's about how high and how long the meat must be heated before the tough fibers break down into tender juicy meat.
If cooked at 225 you can expect a minimum of 12 and as much as 20 hours.
I cook my point ends at 350 from start to finish and it takes 5/6 hours.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
It's not about the size/weight, it's about how high and how long the meat must be heated before the tough fibers break down into tender juicy meat.
If cooked at 225 you can expect a minimum of 12 and as much as 20 hours.
I cook my point ends at 350 from start to finish and it takes 5/6 hours.
Yeah I suggested 300 above. So, even at 350 you are saying 5-6 hours. But that wouldn't allow much rest time.

Yeah I suggested 300 above. So, even at 350 you are saying 5-6 hours. But that wouldn't allow much rest time.
But do burnt ends need to rest? Don’t u just get the meat to it’s IT and prove tender then slice it, toss it with sauce and then continue cooking till the sauce thickens?? I’ve only done em once before

But do burnt ends need to rest? Don’t u just get the meat to it’s IT and prove tender then slice it, toss it with sauce and then continue cooking till the sauce thickens?? I’ve only done em once before
Oh, I'm from Texas, I don't do those lol. Since this are small pieces, I would assume no rest required. Just talking about the rest of the point.

Oh, I'm from Texas, I don't do those lol. Since this are small pieces, I would assume no rest required. Just talking about the rest of the point.
Lol. My buddy really likes my brisket but I won’t have time to cook a whole one so to feed his well and mine taste for brisket I thought about just doing burnt ends since it’ll be smaller than a whole brisket and cutting it into cubes speeds things up Especially if I go the hot and fast route.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
it’s a master built 4 shelf upright propane. It normally cooks between 275-300 deg. Even on low that’s about where I keep it. And the point may actually be smaller I’m just basing it off a 12lb brisket which is the size I usually get.
Keep the cooker right around (probe on the grate)300* at or about 3-4 hours in wrap the meat in foil or place in a foil pan with a little liquid and seal tight with foil. You will make it. Won’t have much smoke, but it will probe tender.

Edit to add: if you aren’t sure of the smoker temp control, then foil at 3-4 hours and into your kitchen oven at 325* to finish.

Last edited:
Keep the cooker right around (probe on the grate)300* at or about 3-4 hours in wrap the meat in foil or place in a foil pan with a little liquid and seal tight with foil. You will make it. Won’t have much smoke, but it will probe tender.

Edit to add: if you aren’t sure of the smoker temp control, then foil at 3-4 hours and into your kitchen oven at 325* to finish.

but at what point do u cut into cubes then put back onto the smoker with sauce??? And I have a Weber I grill2 with a temp probe and 2 meat probes so that’s what I always use to judge the pit temp.

Cube when the point is at 190-195 then finish until they are probing with no resistance
I just don’t know if I’ll have time, part of me wants to try a hot and fast one but I wanna do the wings and I can’t do the point and the wings at 300 I would think the wings would get scorched so I’ll prob wait till I have a time when I can do the meat justice and give it the time it needs. although I could do the wings on my charcoal round Weber and the point on my smoker. Hmmm

Once you wrap/foil pan it put it in the house oven then Do the wings as you normally do.....easy peasy....

wings shouldn’t get scorched at 300.....I do mine at 375 so they go crispy........

The most important part of hot and fast is the resting at temp, ie in the home oven at 170. If you are worried about time bump the home oven up to 350 after it is wrapped then once to temp drop the temp to 170, you should have time to have it rest for about 2 hours before dinner......oh and if it’s not perfect you have wings!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky