Easy Dutch Oven Cobblers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oops , sorry would you believe my dog ate the pictures?

Will post pic next time I promise.

Ok! Ok! You shamed me into it sheesh.

Charcoal getting busy
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/GnuBeeFlyer/QviewCobbler001.jpg
My Charcoal Stacker in red BBQ pit I use to put the DO in on windy days. A 12 inch Oven will fit inside out of the wind. I picked up the Red Monster at Wal Mart for $33.00
Charcoal stacker is a must for getting petroleum free coals.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/GnuBeeFlyer/HPIM1248.jpg
Finished product
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/GnuBeeFlyer/QviewCobbler002.jpg

Now You really got me going......you wanted Qview , here is some
COview ( CampOven view ) also I got a rush of blood to the head and went and put my recipe for DO white bread on here It is very heavy on the qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

This one had a couple of large cans of peaches, a can of Sprite, medium sized box of cake mix (could have used more but we just used what was on hand) and squeeze margarin on top. Cub Scouts loved it! (Parents too)
3af05ae4_vbattach20567.jpg

here's my cobbler recipe. I cooked up 300 of these at the olympic games in 2002 !

2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Peach Cobbler

Coleen Sloan
1 large can sliced peaches, undrained
1 box spice cake mix
¾ can lemon-lime soda (Sprite or 7-Up)

In a preheated and oiled 12” Dutch oven, pour the peaches into the bottom. Sprinkle the cake mix over the peaches. Do not stir! Drizzle about ¾ of a can of soda over the cake mix. Cover and bake at 350o for about 35 to 45 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8
Coleen and I used this recipe for an event in which we catered during the 2002 Winter Olymipcs in Salt Lake City.

Temperature estimates from my cook book:
Temperature: judging temperature is an important skill that needs to be practiced when cooking with a Dutch oven. First off, use only name brands of charcoal. Once you find a brand that you like, stick with that brand. That way you become familiar with how it burns, how long the coals last, etc.
When cooking in a Dutch oven, use the 2/3rds rule. The 2/3rds rule is not based on fractions of any number of coals. But, is short hand for figuring out how many coals to use for a 350o to 375o oven. Take the diameter of the oven for the bottom coals and subtract 2. So, if you have a 12” oven, take the diameter (12”), subtract 2 (10 coals). That’s the 2 in the 2/3rds rule. For figuring the number of coals for the top heat, again take the diameter of the oven and add 3. So, if you have a 12” oven, take the diameter (12”) and add 3 (15 coals). That’s the 3 in the 2/3rds rule. This rule works for any sized oven from 8” to 16”. To increase or decrease the temperature just add or subtract 2 briquettes for a change of 25 degrees.
Just remember that things like wind, moisture (rain), ambient temperature, etc. have effects on oven temperature. Wind and humidity or moisture cool the oven so, you need to add extra coals. A hot summer day will need less coals than a cool fall day. In the summer, when baking breads, I simply let the Dutch oven sit out in the sun and led the heat from the sun warm the oven to let the dough rise. The rest of the year, I use a few coals to warm the oven.
When frying in a Dutch oven, use only bottom heat. To simmer, remove a few less than half of the coals and cover. Using briquettes provides a consistant heat source and burn at the same temperature according to the brand. Different woods, when burned down to coals, burn at different rates and temperatures. So, practice with different wood sources to become familiar with each woods characteristics. Just remember when cooking in a camp fire, use only the coals, not the flame to cook with. Also, don’t use bottom heat, pile the coals around the Dutch oven and on the top.
remember this cobbler?
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=22525

This recipie shall be my first attempt at cooking with a dutch oven.
I plan on using canned peaches/pie filling.
Question though.
If using fresh fruit, do I need to add liquid to it or maybe just some sugar?

Made one of these this weekend and everyone absolutely loved it (sorry, no pics). Put 4 cans apple pie filling in DO and mixed in 1/2 can Sprite. Topped with 2 boxes yellow jiffy cake mix, cinnamon and sugar, Topped with 1/2 stick butter all cut up. 1 hour with 10 coals on bottom and 15 on top and it came out great. Only change I'll make next time is to omit the Sprite as it was a little runny. I also lined the bottom of my DO with foil for easy clean up.

My next adventure will be Cherry pie filling with chocolate cake mix

Wow! That's almost exactly what I made earlier today. 29 oz. can of peaches, 2 boxes of French vanilla cake mix and about a stick of butter. I sprinkled about a tablespoon of ground cinnamon on the peaches before I added the dry cake mix.

It came straight off the coals and I put it in my sidecar and covered it with some brown craft paper (recycling some packing material :D ) Rode 45 minutes, had lunch and went to a friends house where we had pie (and the cobbler was my contribution.) The cast iron kept it warm until we served it.

To answer some of the questions - I like to use coals because I can control the heat on top vs. the heat on the bottom. The only way to mess this one up is to use too many coals and burn it.

And yes, it's really good with ice cream. If that's not handy, milk will do. It really needs something because it's pretty heavy duty by itself.

Sorry, I didn't have time to take pictures - had a schedule to keep.

-walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky