Drying bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Reb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Wellsville PA
Stumbled on an old family recipe for bologna my mom tecslls having as a kid. Basic bologna recipe cured with salt pete and hung for weeks to dry. My mother would like me to make this for her so im looking for some info. First off i will be doin cure #2 im not messin with salt pete. I guess im lookin for advice on what casings to use, bactoferm or not, how long to hang, what environment to hang in.
Ive done a lot of meat curing but all using cure #1 tender quick or sugar cure never #2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cure #2 is used the same as cure #1... 1.13 grams per pound or 1 tsp. per 5#'s of meat... It has nitrite and nitrate ...
Find a recipe you plan on using and post it here....

Cure #2 is used the same as cure #1... 1.13 grams per pound or 1 tsp. per 5#'s of meat... It has nitrite and nitrate ...
Find a recipe you plan on using and post it here....
Thanks Dave once i get home I will post the recipe but it was pretty basic salt pepper sugar and a few other ingredients.

Don't forget times, temperatures etc... Amounts and types of liquids... size of the grind... Post it all...

I know this is an old post but was hoping a recipe could be shared. We had a local guy that used to make bologna and he always hung it in burlap. He never smoked it or put in an oven. All the recipes I find are one or the other.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky