Drying Andouille (one week in)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
I made some Andouille sausage last weekend and decided to try drying it to see how I liked it. So far after drying for one week, I am really happy with it and am going to let hang another week. I brought it up to 160F and then cooled with cold water.It was great the next morning and I do like a nice freshly smoked sausage but I really like how the texture and the flavour have changed. Will update next week.
20200215_195609 (1).jpg
20200216_144418.jpg
20200216_144428.jpg

I've been doing the same thing with summer sausage . I was holding in the basement for 7 days @ 55 degrees with good results .
I've started wrapping in pink butcher paper and storing in the fridge with great results .

Robert
Please report back with your final results. I have been thinking of trying this exact same thing for some time
now, I will stay tuned to see what your results are.

Cal

I had some tonight, so it has been about 10 days.I love how it has changed, the flavour is more complex and love how much drier it is.I will try to slice a ring open for you when I vac pac and freeze.

So, I have put the dried andouille in vac pac bags and into freezer. I will do another batch of some sort next time and record weights and changes . It was very dense after almost two weeks
20200221_172219.jpg

of drying.
Thanks for looking.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky