Dry Baby Backs-Why?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tennesteve

Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
Hello everyone! This is my first post. I have a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker, and today I put two racks of baby back ribs on. I had a separate probe showing in the 240-245 range pretty much the entire 4 1/2 hour smoke time. I sprayed with apple juice every 45 minutes or so. I did not wrap. At the 4 hour mark I checked but didn't notice much pullback of the meat from the ribs, and I also tried the bend test, but was only moderately successful. I grabbed two bones and wiggled, but the meat did not tear apart as it is supposed to when done. My Thermapen showed around 165-170ish. I kept them on for another 30 minutes, then cut into them. There seemed to be a lot more meat on top than normal, and it was well cooked and white. I thought it very odd that I did not see any smoke ring, despite having used 5 chunks of hickory/apple for the first 2 hours. Did I just flat out overcook them? Your thoughts/ suggestions? I really want to figure out what I am doing wrong so that I can be a hero on the 4th! Thanks!

Under cooked.
They needed more time/temp, an IT of approx 195° or higher depending on whether you desire a Light Tug, Fall Off the Bone or something else.
Time wise at your most common cooking temps most folks are looking at an average 5-6hrs or so for BB ribs wrapped or not.
A shorter time frame the hotter the cook.

Last edited:
Yes, under cooked.
Easy to do. My last rack of St Louis cut got a bit under cooked.

Did you air dry them in fridge for a day or so?
Did you let them warm up on the counter for a couple of hours before hitting the WSM?
I found both of those simple techniques really helps develop a smoke ring. Charcoal with or without flavor chunks should give a decent ring.

Reactions: Tennesteve
Under cooked.
They needed more time/temp, an IT of approx 195° or higher depending on whether you desire a Light Tug, Fall Off the Bone or something else.
Time wise at your most common cooking temps most folks are looking at an average 5-6hrs or so for BB ribs wrapped or not.
A shorter time frame the hotter the cook.

Great tips. Thank you.

Yes, under cooked.
Easy to do. My last rack of St Louis cut got a bit under cooked.

Did you air dry them in fridge for a day or so?
Did you let them warm up on the counter for a couple of hours before hitting the WSM?
I found both of those simple techniques really helps develop a smoke ring. Charcoal with or without flavor chunks should give a decent ring.

Wow! That surprises me, but thank you for taking the time to answer. I guess the biggest reason I am surprised is because the meaty portion of the rack was so white. I will plan for longer cook times from here on out. And probably reduce my heat to 225-230ish. I did have them out on the counter warming up prior to putting them on the smoker. However, I did not air dry them prior. That is new to me. How does that help?
Thanks again.

Ok I call BS on sitting on the counter for whatever time before smoking. The smoke ring stops forming at 140 degrees so if you put them in the smoker straight out of the fridge they will have longer to form the smoke ring then if you put them on at room temp. That said the smoke ring doesn't impart any taste or take away any taste some people just really like seeing it.
Now onto what might be the cause.
You said you had a thermometer in it but is it accurate
Foiling tight with some juice inside will also make them more tender.
For Babybacks try 2-2-1
For Spares try 3-2-1
That is 2 hours on the grate at 225 then 2 hours in the foil and the last hour unwrapped and back on the grate.
I would recommend doing the full times a couple times then adjust to your liking if to fall of the bone. Try less time in the foil stage if to fall off the bone.
If you decide to baste with bbq sauce do it the last half hour or so as most sauces have a high sugar content and this way they have less time to burn.

Ok I call BS on sitting on the counter for whatever time before smoking. The smoke ring stops forming at 140 degrees so if you put them in the smoker straight out of the fridge they will have longer to form the smoke ring then if you put them on at room temp. That said the smoke ring doesn't impart any taste or take away any taste some people just really like seeing it.
Now onto what might be the cause.
You said you had a thermometer in it but is it accurate
Foiling tight with some juice inside will also make them more tender.
For Babybacks try 2-2-1
For Spares try 3-2-1
That is 2 hours on the grate at 225 then 2 hours in the foil and the last hour unwrapped and back on the grate.
I would recommend doing the full times a couple times then adjust to your liking if to fall of the bone. Try less time in the foil stage if to fall off the bone.
If you decide to baste with bbq sauce do it the last half hour or so as most sauces have a high sugar content and this way they have less time to burn.
Thanks, Pineywoods!
If I may, I have one more question. I have noticed that on baby backs, one end of the rack is normally thicker and meatier than the other. Does this make a difference to most of you? If so, do you whack off a portion of the meatier end to balance things out, or just go with it?
Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.

Personally I just go with it. Most of the time when I foil I apply some honey and squeeze butter if that gives you any ideas. I have seen people use everything from apple juice to soda

Reactions: Tennesteve
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky