Dry-aged rib steak help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

617Smoker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 4, 2020
Wondering if anyone has ideas or thoughts on what may have gone wrong. I dry aged 12 pounds of boneless prime ribeye for 4 weeks in an umai bag. It looked awesome when I trimmed it. Beautiful color,, nice marbling, etc. it lost 2.2 pounds, or 18 percent, in the fridge, and when I cut it into steaks it was as soft as cool butter. I split it with a friend, and we both cooked a steak Friday night. I reverse seared it, he pan seared it and Both had a nice looking medium rare steak. But...it was seriously disappointing. Kind of tough texture, flavor was meh.... bland.... I don't know what compare it to except low quality steak.
I don't really see how anything went "wrong". The steak wasn't rotten and we are both good cooks. What gives?

Attachments

• 00F858B6-4D66-47C9-8F46-53924BBAE8B1.jpeg
    00F858B6-4D66-47C9-8F46-53924BBAE8B1.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 20
Quality of meat is number 1.
The fat content is #2.
In the picture, the steaks at the bottom should have the most noticeable “change” the steaks at the top of the picture the least. I have found the best results with leaner primal/subprimal pieces from a known supply of good quality flavorful meat. Supper market meat is real hit and miss.

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky