Dry Aged Beef Round 3: Prime Rib (W / A Couple Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Round 1 was 45 day aged Rib Eye Steaks
Round 2 was 60 day aged NY Strip Steaks (this one is still on the carousel)
Round 3 will be 60 day aged Prime Rib

Made a run into town last weekend to load up on meat and scored a screaming deal on a boneless 17.5# Certified Angus Beef Prime Rib. It immediately went into the UMAi bag to age where it will sit for 60 days. Starting price was $13.99/lb so the total cost was $244. The boneless was on sale so that dropped the price a bit. Swiping my frequent flier card got me a bit more off the price. Smiling a lot at the butcher and telling her how cute she was (and she really was cute!!) got me another little price break. Buying the entire roast still in the cryovac dropped the price even more. When you buy the entire piece of meat they have no loss or product due to trimming for steaks and no time involved cutting and packaging the steaks so the price goes down but you may have to ask for it. When all was said and done I got that $244 piece of meat for $77. Couldn't have been happier!! That comes out to about $4.50/lb.

Here it is right from the store
033.jpg

Out of the package, rinsed off, and dried
034.jpg

Into the UMAi bag to get happy
035.jpg

See y'all in a couple months for an update. Dinner will be served on Saturday July 20th and the party starts at 3:00. Bring a swimsuit and towel because the pool is open!! I ordered a new 36" Santa Maria grill this morning from Sunterra and plan to slow roast this on the rotisserie. Should be another epic meal....or at least I hope so :emoji_blush:

Playing the waiting game again,
Robert

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky