drip pan height

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brgbassmaster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Arizona
Just curious as to how high the drip pan should be in a UDS above the fire box? I have my top rack 4 inches from the top of the drum. Then i just need to install a drip pan now. And if i have a drip pan should i add a heat diffuser or does it matter really?

I have a adjustable charcoal basket so I can raise it to sear.

It is 18" off of the bottom of the barrel.

I never use a drip pan and just started using a diffuser.

I like the diffuser cause the meat doesnt turn black, gives a nicer color.

hi brgbassmaster

are you using a weber type dome lid or the original lid that comes with the drum?

my uds has a dome lid and i sometimes use a pan with a rack(cake cooling rack) on top of it then place the meat on that or i use drip pans on the second rack i also have a third rack about 1 1/2 inches above the charcoal basket that i use to put a diffuser on(stainless serving tray) 

hope this helps

I have the webber dome lid. I was just wanting to add a drip pan for briskets juices. Now I'm thinking about adding a heat diffuser also because I'm tired of my pulled pork bark turning black. The flavor is good but i don't like the color lol. And my brisket turned that color to. The ribs are the only thing i can get to come out nice and red.

hi brgbassmaster

i would go for a diffuser, set it about 2 inches above the charcoal basket also try using drip pans as the juices can add another flavour profile and moisture to the finished product (especially pulled pork) .what wood do you use for the smoke as this can also effect the colour of meat ,i mainly use fruit wood ,i find that apple gives a light colour but if i use cherry it is much darker  

I use hickory wood and even my ribs turned black.

Before diffuser

After diffuser

It sure does, I will be keeping the diffuser.

I have used apple for everything except a brisket. But looks like i will be adding a diffuser. I don't have problems with ribs just my pulled pork and brisket. taste great just bad color.

Thanks guys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky