Dried Venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's beautiful. Can you give more detail on the Cure mix and process? You have a Curing Cabinet or other place you hang it? It is certainly cold enough around here...JJ

That's beautiful. Can you give more detail on the Cure mix and process? You have a Curing Cabinet or other place you hang it? It is certainly cold enough around here...JJ

Just a dry cure, used Diggingdogs calculator . Cured 3 weeks then smoked at 180 to dry. Took over 48 hours.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That looks awesome! I just pulled out about 100 pieces of venison hams/backstraps out of pop's wet brine and have them seasoned and in the fridge. They cured in my walk-in at the ranch for the past two weeks. They are going on the smoker first thing tomorrow morning! I wish I had a picture to post. will post the finished product

Reactions: pc farmer
I use mine after being sliced thin for scrambled eggs. I fry frozen green peppers I save from the garden in an olive oil drizzle bottle that has oregano and basil mixed in it. The shred the dried, cured, deer into it and fry a little. Crack eggs over it, bit more pepper and some cheddar cheese. :emoji_sunglasses:

Here is a portion of the finished product, had to finish in the oven in three batches after 12 hrs cold smoke. I will say that the meat is a little sweeter than I would have wanted it to be. I used "Pop's Wet Brine" cure (1C Salt, 1 C Sugar, 1C Brn Sugar, 1T cure #1 per 1 gallon of water) I think next time I'll try a small test batch with less sugar before doing another 100 piece batch.

The first time I did cured and smoked venison, I used BearCarver's dry cure with morton's tenderquick and brown sugar and it was perfect, just took up too much room in the fridge. I figured the wet cure was a better option for me due to the fact I could leave it in the walk-in at the ranch.

Has anyone else had this issue with the meat being sweet with "Pop's Brine"? Do you think it is because my pieces were a lot smaller than I typically see on here? Was two weeks in the cure too long for the small pieces? Any input would be helpful for the future.

Thanks!

Attachments

• cured venison.JPG
    cured venison.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky