doing my first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopper103in

Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Sycamore,il
i decided i was doing a pork shoulder in my smoker today

on saturday i made a rub and rubbed the shoulder down and wrapped it in plastic wrap and set in in the fridgerator till this morning

i soaked my hickory chips overnight in water

i got up this morning and got everything set up

i think i may have rushed on waiting for the charcoal turn compleatly white before starting or didnt use enough to get started because it took a while to get the temp up

i got this meat thermometer that is wireless from wal-mart (i think it was a good $16 investment)

its been on for about 6 hours now and its up to 157 degrees

i got some pics now and will take some more later
2eecef4c_iowa80labordaysmoke011.jpg
4720ed56_smoker005.jpg
9b3fe9ce_iowa80labordaysmoke009.jpg

OK i forgot to get the pics when it was finished, i guess i was in too big of a hurry--lol

i done a 9 pound bone-in pork shoulder and it got to temp in about 7 hours

i let it sit wrapped with foil for about an hour

it was tender but not fall off the bone tender

it was moist and had good flavor

i did learn a few things like i need to watch my water pan( i let it get dry)

i used match-light charcoal, i think i will get a chimney and some regular charcoal

also i think a spray bottle to spray what I'm smoking down

all in all i think i did pretty good for my first time

definitely was a learning experience

If you liked it, it was a good smoke, and it sounds like you learned from the experience. That’s what makes it a good smoke in my book.

Welcome aboard

Great first smoke!  Did you slice it or want to pull it?  You may also want to pick up another probe to monitor your chamber temps.  

i was going to pull it but it didnt want to come loose so i cut it with a knife

i was thinking about getting somthing for keeping tab on the temp of the unit

thanks everyone for your coments

Congrats on your adventure!!!  Its ok about the pics, LOL I think the mods let ya slide once or twice before they put you in time out. I would go with the regular charcoal instead of the matchlight. JMO.

fall off the bone vs slicing. fine line there. if the taste is good, you're splttin' hairs!  they both pork, they both butt, but at the same time, a bit apples and oranges.  had to pull a butt sooner than i'd like the other day, sliced and delicious!  but, for those who could wait until it fell apart, well, different experience but all happy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky