Does smoking past 3 hours really make a difference?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbhcom

Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
I can't see the smoke penatrating any deeper after a 3 hour smoke and me instruction manual says that the most flavor is achieved in the first hour.  So my question is why can't I just smoke whatever for the first three hours and then finish in the oven?

There is no rule that says you can't finish in the oven..... but the meat does continue to absorb smoke "flavor" the entire smoke. What confuses most people is that the smoke ring does not generally develop any further once the meat hits an internal temp. of approx. 140-150° - wich is generally around the 3 hr. mark on big pieces of meat.

The other consideration is bark. If you foil the meat and toss it into the oven you won't develop any bark, and a lot of people actually like the bark flavor and texture. It just adds to the overall taste/experience of eating slow smoked meats.

.... but like I said... there ain't no rule you can't do it, just that most of us prefer to finish it on the smoker for best results.

I can't see the smoke penatrating any deeper after a 3 hour smoke and me instruction manual says that the most flavor is achieved in the first hour.  So my question is why can't I just smoke whatever for the first three hours and then finish in the oven?

As already said, nothing said you can't put it in the oven.  In my opinion it's just like the other post about foiling at 140*, sure you can do it, but you're not going to have much bark either as Johnny has also already pointed out.  But then why not just get you some liquid smoke and save the trouble of dirtying up the smoker in the first place?  

But then again, when it comes to smoking it sort of reminds me of Microsoft, there are about 10 ways to do one task and none of them are wrong.  
biggrin.gif

They hit it right on the head. The meat will take on more smoke "Flavor" but your smoke ring won't develop any more once your meat reaches a certain internal temp 140-150. Personally I like a smoke ring but it isn't that important to me. I would rather eat a piece of meat that tastes great and just the right amount of smoke that doesn't have much smoke ring vs. a piece of meat that has a great smoke ring but doesn't taste very well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky