Does anyone use Bear Mountain Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papadon45

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
Reno, NV
I have a new Traeger and would like to find the best all around pellet to use. So for I've used only Traeger pellets cause I can purchase for $16.00 per 20# bag or about 80 cents per #. I live in Reno, NV and it seems my choices are limited. I've read posts about may good pellets but they seem to be East Coast oriented, shipping to get them to me puts most of them over $1.00 per pound. I also do not want to have "X" for fish, "Y" for pork, or "Z" for beef etc.

I ask about Bear Mountain because Cash & Carry has them for about $10.80 per 20# bag or about 54 cents per # compared to my Traeger pellets @ 80 cents per #  and even less for a 33# bag.

I'm an old guy 71, and have learned through the years that you pretty much "get what you pay for", so what does anyone else think? My family likes the taste of smoked meats but they like a "mild" smoke flavor, I don't want to clean out the burn pot after every use, and judging from my 1st month we will be using the smoker about 3-4 times per week.

Im just getting started with pellet smoking so understand Im parroting others experience here. When you say you don't want to clean out the burn pot each time you use it, it seams like the lion share of problems people have are because they don't clean it out, hard starting, burnt out igniters, flair ups and the like.

As to the pellets, a lot of people here like Amazen , cooking pellets .com and Lumberjack. I have found Lumberjack pellets for 9.99 a 20lbs bag at Rual King

So far I've cleaned out the pot about every 3 or 4 uses with little ash to be sucked out. So what is a "Rual King" never heard of it. Must be nice to be able to smoke in 70 degree weather, it's almost 11am and it's 18 degrees here. Best price for Lumberjack I can find is Amazon @ $36.00 for 40#s.

So far I've cleaned out the pot about every 3 or 4 uses with little ash to be sucked out. So what is a "Rual King" never heard of it. Must be nice to be able to smoke in 70 degree weather, it's almost 11am and it's 18 degrees here. Best price for Lumberjack I can find is Amazon @ $36.00 for 40#s.
Yea its the shipping that gets ya, Rural King is a chain, they have stores all over, mostly in rural areas, google it and use the store locator. Its 72 atm but its supposed to get into the 50"s tonight, Brrrrrrrr. Im heating up the hot tub and going to have a fire in the pit.

Ive seen guys on here that live close to each other do a group buy as well.

I've used Bear Mountain a number of times, and have found them to be really good quality.  They're semi-local (Oregon), and I've always heard great things from others about them as well.  Very consistent, and not a ton of ash. 

If nothing else, it wouldn't hurt to buy a bag or two and see how you like them!   The Pecan is a nice mellow smoke if that's available for you to try. 

Bear Mountain Pellets are a high quality smoking pellet and I really like them!

Now in a Treager, you use pellets for heating as well as for the smoke, so you will find there will be a difference between Treager Pellets an the Bear Mountain pellets which are a pure smoking pellet.

There will be more BTU's put out by a Treager Pellet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky