Do I use the waterpan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chiefconcern

Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Omaha Ne
Hi, I'm new to smoking and just purchased a smoker. The smoker has a water pan, but I haven't seen anyone saying they use it. What is the purpose of the waterpan and how would I go about smoking some chicken breasts?

Thank you in advance.

hello chef

yes you do want to use the water pan it will give you indirect heat on your food fill the water pan to withen one inch of the top and keep it full throughout your cooking time as for your chicken breast the easyist way would be for you to put breasts into a gallon plastic ziploc bag and pour in some italian salid dressing let soak for a couple of hours and put into the smoker smoke at 225 - 250 degrees until internal temp of chicken breast reaches 170 degrees hope this helps
salmonclubber

Welcome to SMF, chiefconcern! Tell a bit more about yourself and your smoker. We have lot of knowledgeable folks on this board and we will be glad to help you out.

Well I just started off smoking meat since my fiance got a smoker for her wedding shower this past month. Its a brinkmann vertical smoker, charcoal/wood, and contains a water pan. I just curred it last night and am getting ready to smoke some chicken breasts this afternoon. Hope it goes well.

Thanks for the welcome! Hope I can learn some knowledgable smoking tips and pass them on to others as well.

Enjoy your smoke there chief. Since you have an ECB you'll be wanting to make some modifications to it to make it a better unit. Check out our Charcoal Smoker forum see what others have done to improve their smokers.

Hey there Chief,in your water pan as well as water you will want to pour in any remaining marinade you have.I also always pour in a beer or some wine.These additions to your water will help flavor whatever your smoking.Ive used an ECB for a long time now and they turn out some very good food,good luck and enjoy,David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky