DO I NEED A FAN IN MY SMOKER ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goliath

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Terrace BC Canada
hi everyone.

i built a decent smoker a few months back and have been wondering if i put in a small fan to create air circulation will my cooks times be better. there is a definite temp difference from rack to rack. this has been quite noticeable when i fill it up with ALOT of sausage. the links on the top will come up to the IT faster and then i remove them and move the other stuff up.

do you think a small internal fan will give me better heat throughout?

if yes.... where would be the best spot to place it? blowing over and across the electric elements ..

and does anyone have a place where i could order a fan with a 2 to 3 inch shaft that i could install on the outside of my fridge and only have the shaft and fan on the inside....

here is my build , i have since put another fin strip heater mounted above the brinkman and under the guard/deflector.

thanks for any help !!!

900x900px-LL-5a514372_GOLIATH8.jpg

Reactions: joerych
Do you have fresh air intake at the bottom? Looks like a fish pump smoke gen there. You would want avery gentle "bbreeze" if you add a fan. Just stir the air. Long shaft fans can be had at Grainger's.... kinda pricey there. I hope some of more experienced guys will also comment.

RG

Last edited:
i have since gotten rid of that smoke gen and use a mailbox mod setup piped in with a 3" metal flex tube. and yes i also have a 3" air intake on the opposite site witha damper and a damper on my top vent. i usually run with the top open and 1/2 to 3/4 open on the bottom. lots of air movement but when i have this thing loaded up its jammed full. was just wondering if internal circulation may help.

thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky