DIY Cold smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heliboy89

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Hi Fellers,

Wanted to lob a quick question out there for you smoking gurus - I have done a bit of reading of the newbies questions so apologies of course if I ask something that has already been asked. We're heading away to the lakes for a couple of weeks next week and wanted to get a new way of serving the trout we catch going - I've already left it a little late but better late than never. I got experimenting with a cold smoke generator last night - the classic tin can with breathing holes and a venturi running through it. I pulled the guts of a broken gas cooker out so basically I have the tin can with the gas/air mixing venturi components inside the can, so I am running air through the copper where the gas is usually fed and the venturi is drawing in smoke where the air would usually draw in. Seems to work well, I get a choking thick white smoke as it starts of course and as it warms up it makes a thinner blueish smoke.

This is experimenting at this stage - I will get a safer vessel to burn chips in once I settle on a design.

I've got a hundred questions I could ask about this already but I'm sure when I get time to go looking I will find answers to them so I won't. One question I did want to ask that may not have been covered is - Am I better with the venturi system inside the burner - blowing the air/smoke mix into the smoke box, or am I better with the venturi system inside the smoke box, then sealing the system air tight all the way to the burner can? The second design will create a negative pressure in the whole system and obviously what is drawn into the smoke box will be a much richer smoke to air ratio since it is not mixing with the venturi air - is that understandable...?

In this case the venturi system only serves to create a vacuum inside the smoke box, exactly what a small vacuum pump would do. I know the smoke will be warmer, which may be a problem? The reason this thought crossed my mind is the smoke from the burner can gets a little wispy after a half hour or so. How often are you stirring the woodchips/pellets in the well-made smokers you guys have?

I will pop over to roll call and introduce myself properly as soon as I can. We're about to head north for the week to a wedding so I wanted to get this all written down while it's on my mind!

Any help much appreciated of course!

Cheers,

Josh

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky