Dirty smoke briquettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KingCedster

Original poster
Jul 4, 2022
I have a char grilled Akorn Kamado and when I use lump coal coupled with wood chunks and a deflector plate I get clean blue smoke within a half hour of ignition. However when I try to use briquettes my smoke is white no matter what unless I remove the deflector plate(which i need for indirect cooking). Any advice?

I recently tried smoking meat for the first time after purchasing my first grill. I kept adding wood chips to the grill in an effort to create a thick white cloud. I also didn't let the charcoal burn all the way down. What an oversight! lol. The chicken had an ashtray-like flavor. I appreciate the video. Without a doubt, I'll make sure that everything is properly ignited, burned, and smoked. Use fewer wood chips as well, probably.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky