Did I mess it up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
So I mixed up a 2lb batch of ground beef jerky using Hi Mountain Jerky cure and seasoning on Sunday about 1:30 pm and stuck it in the fridge. I planned on shooting it from the cannon then placing it my dehydrator the next morning. Well, guess what I forgot to do? I was busy yesterday and forgot all about it. Dang!
Will it still be good if I do it this afternoon when I get home from work? Or will it be overly salty?
Dang it!

As long as the spice mix has sodium nitrite in it, you are good to go. Though the mix might tighten up on you and be difficult to press through the jerky cannon. If that is the case, you can mix in a little water to loosen it up a little. The extra water will cook out when you dry them anyhow.

Reactions: smokerjim
As long as the spice mix has sodium nitrite in it, you are good to go. Though the mix might tighten up on you and be difficult to press through the jerky cannon. If that is the case, you can mix in a little water to loosen it up a little. The extra water will cook out when you dry them anyhow.
Oh good! Thank you for the reply.

Thanks for the replies.
Can it be vacuum sealed and frozen? Getting home from work at 4pm I'm not up late enough to let it go in the dehydrator. unless it will be fine overnight. Would it be safe to set it for a time to shut off and take it off in the morning?
I sure would hate to waste this

I'll defer to someone that has dehydrated ground jerky, but as to your question, as long as the mince has cure #1 AND you dry it so that it has lost 45% weight or more, it would be shelf stable.

The time to achieve that will depend on how thick the jerky is, the temperature you dry it at, and the airflow....along with the humidity of the incoming air to the dehydrator.

Reactions: hooked on smoke
I'll defer to someone that has dehydrated ground jerky, but as to your question, as long as the mince has cure #1 AND you dry it so that it has lost 45% weight or more, it would be shelf stable.

The time to achieve that will depend on how thick the jerky is, the temperature you dry it at, and the airflow....along with the humidity of the incoming air to the dehydrator.
Your reply is greatly appreciated. I'll hold for a possible ground jerky expert.

I always cure ground beef jerky 3 days. I then roll it out between 2 sheets of plastic wrap , and use a pizza cutter to cut strips . I do mine in the oven at 170 .

You can freeze for later with no I'll effects .

As far as your over night question , that's up to you . I have done it myself but won't recommend thst you do .

I always cure ground beef jerky 3 days. I then roll it out between 2 sheets of plastic wrap , and use a pizza cutter to cut strips . I do mine in the oven at 170 .

You can freeze for later with no I'll effects .

As far as your over night question , that's up to you . I have done it myself but won't recommend thst you do .
Ahhh! Thank you chopsaw for the info.

Thank you all for your input. I ended up vacuum sealing it. Plan on thawing and dehydrating it or putting it in the gravity 800. That is if the temps cool down a bit.

For you gravity experts.
Speaking of the gravity, I have not tested it yet but will it get enough temps to do jerky?

This was what was left in my Lem stuffer from a sausage run . I put it in my air fryer at 200 and just cooked it .
I think this was summer sausage .
1662767828683.jpeg

Summer sausage and Kielbasa .
1662768081796.jpeg
Kippered beef .
In the air fryer at 200 .
20200917_194629.jpg
20200917_194838.jpg
Kippered beef on the pellet grill .
20220513_143334.jpg
20220513_163131.jpg
20220513_163143.jpg
Comes out good that way too , just watch that your temps don't get to high , and pull it when it's at a safe internal temp .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky