Denver steak - grill or smoke them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wahoowad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Virginia
I bought a pack of Denver Steaks that look pretty well marbled. Any suggestions to cook? Seeing mixed advice online, some say a great cut to grill and others suggesting they can be tough.

IMG-0027.jpg

I'd marinate in teriyaki then sear over the hottest grill you've got. Once the meat freely releases from the grate flip the steak and do it to the other side.

Chris

Reactions: outwest
I get those on clearance at food lion all the time. They aren't the greatest cut in the world but not bad either. I grill over high heat to medium rare.

If you ever see the chuck eye's there grab em up. Almost exactly like a ribeye but half the cost.

I get those on clearance at food lion all the time. They aren't the greatest cut in the world but not bad either. I grill over high heat to medium rare.

If you ever see the chuck eye's there grab em up. Almost exactly like a ribeye but half the cost.
Not to derail but Dad loves Chuck eye steaks and they are plentiful around here. I've not seen the Denver variety but I will be looking at food lion from now on.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan

Yes sir same here. Just get those grates screaming hot and flip them repeatedly until you get the desired level of doneness. It's a great cut of beef and a great price!

Keith

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Not trying to derail this guys thread either but aside from fish food lion is usually a pretty good place to grab meat. Denver and Chuck steaks. Beef short ribs. I always seem to be able to find stuff on managers special. Chicken especially. Butts for $.99 a lb every two or three weeks.

I'm personally in the reverse sear group but regardless, you're still dealing with chuck. I probably wouldn't go above a finish of med-rare. Smoke 'em to 115-118º pull and let rest 10 mins, then on to a hot searing grill 1-2 min per side depending in thickness.

Grilled one for lunch direct over coals. It was a tad chewy regardless of the direction I cut it. Wasn't as tender as I expected given the marbling.

Reactions: JLeonard
Grilled one for lunch direct over coals. It was a tad chewy regardless of the direction I cut it. Wasn't as tender as I expected given the marbling.
Assuming it wasn't past med-rare, sounds like you got a hold of an inside skirt.

I would have been fooled by that marbling too!!
I figured the'd be plenty tender.
No Finished Pics?

Bear

The first one I did my wife loved, I used the process described above. I also did very thin slices. I’ve done a few since we weren’t as happy with using slightly different ways, but the one common theme is they do well in thin slices seared in a pan as leftovers!

schlotz schlotz has me wondering if you can do them like burnt ends?

Only food lion I know of is in the east end in LaFollette , we go once in awhile but didn't notice this cut, think they use to be referred to as patio steaks, unless you done something to them they were a lot tuff lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky