DEER HEART — WEBER KETTLE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
Hello fellow smokers! Got a deer heart from a friend of mine during his deer hunting adventure. I marinaded the heart in pickle juice for 4hrs, butterflied it, stuffed it with a couple cloves of garlic, then butcher twined it back up, then put a nice thick VooDoo Rub on it. Smoked it for 4.5 hours. Two hours of smoke, then placed the heart in a cast iron meatloaf pan with 1/2 stick of butter n onions.
Turned out damn good!
B11B50E1-6CBA-44D6-BDA4-31FCEB19C4E9.jpeg
8FB818E7-8EED-4C65-9349-172C98CC1CC6.jpeg
A498C34A-AAED-4CAC-9358-5AB2C2583CEA.jpeg
9242483C-8FCD-4F16-BDD4-97D66BD329A5.jpeg

Dang Yank, that looks really good. I have some venison hearts frozen. Might have to try this.

Dang Yank, that looks really good. I have some venison hearts frozen. Might have to try this.
Thanks Mucks! Try it! Goes good with a slice of smoked cheess!
Will admit, I've never had it, but it looks good cooked up on the plate!
Thanks! It was good! Super tender too!

Three 🪕🪕🪕 for this one Justin. My wife would be all over the hearts.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Justin, that looks remarkable! It's crazy to realize how many hunters just throw these away...
Thanks! A couple of my buddies love to deer hunt and they always give me a bunch of there deer meat for me to smoke for them. And I am getting more and more deer meat from them, including the heart!
Three 🪕🪕🪕 for this one Justin. My wife would be all over the hearts.

Point for sure
Chris
You sure do know they way to a guys heart! 😂

The pickle juice brine, and the flavored butter bath are good ideas.

From experience I can attest that cooking too long covered or wrapped can be a disaster. I forgot two hearts in the smoker at a big event... and 4 hours later they looked like pudding. :emoji_nerd:

Reactions: yankee2bbq
The pickle juice brine, and the flavored butter bath are good ideas.

From experience I can attest that cooking too long covered or wrapped can be a disaster. I forgot two hearts in the smoker at a big event... and 4 hours later they looked like pudding. :emoji_nerd:
Thanks buddy! I wasn’t sure how long to smoke it! Just went with the color! Turned out great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky