Deep fryer recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
Looking replace my two old deep fryers. Had the basket fry daddy and the faberware fryer with the baskets. I have totally gotten my moneys worth out of both of these units, but they are no longer opertional. Im really leaning towards a similar basket style like faberware. Any pros cons or other suggestions as its been at least decade since my last deep fryer purchase!

Reactions: JLeonard
What's your goals?
I had an electric 4 quart (liter?) unit that served me well, but I only used it outdoors. Don't remember the brand but got it cheap as in under $20 in a sale.
An electric unit with a removeable heating element is a big plus. There is space under the heating element where the crumbs drop. You can easily clean the tub and scrub the heating element. I tossed it as the lid was not cleanable and disgusting with all the condensed grease residue. No dishwasher in the house to toss the lid and basket for a media cleaning on a regular basis.
Bought a gas fired outdoor unit. Used it once and will probably never use it again.
I don't need that volume anymore and a pia to control the temp versus an electric.
Sorry for the long rambling post. I use a pan fry when wanting an oil cook and I don't like air fry.

I use a turkey cooker with a 12” or 15”cast iron skillet. The big aluminum pans the turkey cooker comes with uses too much oil if you just want to fry some fish, fries, or wings. Been using this setup for a number of years and works awesome. Especially now that oil costs so much.

We have a single basket Faberware thats getting on in years. It only gets used about twice a year for fish-n-chips now. Everything else gets done on the kettle with the Vortex. We're trying to eliminate deep fried from our diets. Been pretty successful so far.

Chris

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I bought the T-Fal fryer with the oil filtration system. I like the fact I can filter the used oil into a separate storage container. What I hate about it is that it refuses to get above 330 degrees and the storage lid doesn’t snap on great so pouring the oil back into the fryer via the spout is next to impossible without a mess. I ignored the reviews on this thing, and while the filtered oil system seems great the whole thing just isn’t worth it.

I bought the T-Fal fryer with the oil filtration system. I like the fact I can filter the used oil into a separate storage container. What I hate about it is that it refuses to get above 330 degrees and the storage lid doesn’t snap on great so pouring the oil back into the fryer via the spout is next to impossible without a mess. I ignored the reviews on this thing, and while the filtered oil system seems great the whole thing just isn’t worth it.
I used one of those for years. Really worked pretty good for me just takes to much oil. I have gone to a Bella 1.6 L fryer. Just me so size is perfect. I dropped it couple weeks ago and it came apart. Only paid $14 and got a lot of use. I just bought another few days ago on sale for $20. If you have an induction burner cast iron works great on them for frying. I just like the set it and forget type.

I have an old (25+) Presto multi-cooker electric. It still works like a champ. They are larger than a Fry Daddy and come in 2 sizes these days, 1.75 & 2.75 Qt.
I must say that since getting my new oven with air fry, the deep fryer doesn't get used. I am VERY happy with the ovens capability without the mess and hassle of oil.

I have an old (25+) Presto multi-cooker electric. It still works like a champ. They are larger than a Fry Daddy and come in 2 sizes these days, 1.75 & 2.75 Qt.
I must say that since getting my new oven with air fry, the deep fryer doesn't get used. I am VERY happy with the ovens capability without the mess and hassle of oil.
I have the Presto 05411 GranPappy Electric Deep Fryer. There is no thermostat and it gets very hot! I would love it if you could adjust the temp. Most things get over done on outside before done inside. I tried to find a controller of some sorts for it.

What's your goals?
I had an electric 4 quart (liter?) unit that served me well, but I only used it outdoors. Don't remember the brand but got it cheap as in under $20 in a sale.
An electric unit with a removeable heating element is a big plus. There is space under the heating element where the crumbs drop. You can easily clean the tub and scrub the heating element. I tossed it as the lid was not cleanable and disgusting with all the condensed grease residue. No dishwasher in the house to toss the lid and basket for a media cleaning on a regular basis.
Bought a gas fired outdoor unit. Used it once and will probably never use it again.
I don't need that volume anymore and a pia to control the temp versus an electric.
Sorry for the long rambling post. I use a pan fry when wanting an oil cook and I don't like air fry.
Same, I dont need volume but maybe 1 or 2 times a year! One of the old fryers were the same as you mentioned, the lid gets that gunk on it and you cant get it off minus a pressure washer lol

I use a turkey cooker with a 12” or 15”cast iron skillet. The big aluminum pans the turkey cooker comes with uses too much oil if you just want to fry some fish, fries, or wings. Been using this setup for a number of years and works awesome. Especially now that oil costs so much.
Nice! I have that option, with skillets and a small aluminum pan with basket, but am still leaning towards an electric unit. Thanks!

We have a single basket Faberware thats getting on in years. It only gets used about twice a year for fish-n-chips now. Everything else gets done on the kettle with the Vortex. We're trying to eliminate deep fried from our diets. Been pretty successful so far.

Chris
Yessir, that is one of the two that I was running. Great unit, but im sure some things have been upgraded in the last decade lol. I know my fry daddy is from the 90s and the faberware has at least 12 years on it!
I like having the capability of running two different fryers if possible. One for fish, the other for anything but fish lol!

The filtering part sounds great!

I hear ya! Our air fryer gets hammered on the weekly! What is really nice (and preferred) is fries in the air fryer and fish in the oil. Just seems right!

I have a T-Fal FR8000 that I would be willing to sell you. I've only used it about 3 times. It just takes up too much room in my cabinet. If you are interested let me know. it's still in great shape. I'll let it go for $75 shipped from West KY.

We have a Waring Commercial WDF 1000, it works very well, the only problem is has tripled in price since we got ours…….I paid a couple of bills for it but not sure I would layout 5 bills they want for it now though….

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky