Deciding on new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JamesCT

Original poster
Mar 21, 2018
Ledyard, CT
So I am going to buy myself a Christmas gift this year. A new smoker, right now my two choices are the humphreys battle box or the assassin 17 GF, these are the two in my price range I would put the humphreys mini tank 1 in the mix also but once you factor in shipping and a guru it is almost out of my price range. I started with vertical offset stick burner went to a GMG pellet currently using a masterbuilt 560 GF, so as you can see all pretty cheap smokers. I really like a pretty smokey profile and usually smoke brisket, ribs, pork butt and some sausage. Any advice on which may be a better smoker and which would give me a stronger smoke flavor. Thanks in advance.

I have never owned either of those and have very little experience with GF but I havent seen any bad reviews on assasin. That would be choice out of two.
you-want a vertical smoker? For that price range you can get nice offset which will give you best smoke profile but will also require more baby sitting.
lastly, is $3k your budget? The pitmaker safe is $3500 and that is a damn good cooker. I used the vault in competition and got 12+ hours all the time and its built like a tank. Safe is equivalent just smaller
Hopefully this provides some help with your two choices and some alternates

Is there anything different you want to achieve with the new smoker or just wanting to add to your arsenal ?

I have never owned either of those and have very little experience with GF but I havent seen any bad reviews on assasin. That would be choice out of two.
you-want a vertical smoker? For that price range you can get nice offset which will give you best smoke profile but will also require more baby sitting.
lastly, is $3k your budget? The pitmaker safe is $3500 and that is a damn good cooker. I used the vault in competition and got 12+ hours all the time and its built like a tank. Safe is equivalent just smaller
Hopefully this provides some help with your two choices and some alternates
I love the offset just can't baby sit any more, getting older. I have seen review taste tests with the pitmaker and it finished behind the gravity fed and pellet for smoke profile, could have just been the pitmaster. I really want an insulated being up here in CT. Another good thing about humphreys it is only just over three hours from here. I do like the assassin also.

Is there anything different you want to achieve with the new smoker or just wanting to add to your arsenal ?
I finally want one that is insulated being in CT and one that is going to last more then a couple of years, now that I sm not moving every three years for the military I want something nice.

Both are good. I like gravity fed units, so would lean towards the Assassin (It was #2 on my list when I bought my Southern Q), but given your proximity to Humphreys, it would be hard not to get one of their units. I like being able to drive to the manufacturer, shake hands with the builder, and drive home with a new unit.

Reactions: JamesCT
Both are good. I like gravity fed units, so would lean towards the Assassin (It was #2 on my list when I bought my Southern Q), but given your proximity to Humphreys, it would be hard not to get one of their units. I like being able to drive to the manufacturer, shake hands with the builder, and drive home with a new unit.
I will have to look at the southern Q

I will have to look at the southern Q
They are excellent smokers. The builder is Scott Smith who also decks out competition trailers. He’s been making Gravity fed units for some time and primarily sells to competition cooks. Georgia has several nice Gravity fed manufacturers. Deep South, Assassin, Southern Q and the granddaddy of the Gravity fed models Stumps and a few others are from Georgia.

So I decided to stay local and bought the humphreys battle box. Now hopefully the weather will be good so I can pick up Friday. I also bought the flameboss 500 with it as I heard they were good units

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky