Dealing with a rack of ribs that is longer on one side and shorter on the other....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

american_greenz

Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
Hi All,

What's the best way to deal with a rack of pork ribs that are 7" on one side and about 4 inch on the other? When I smoked them, the short side was overcooked and the long side undercooked. Is it best to cut the rack of ribs so that the small ribs are smoked separately?

I'm new to smoking. Thanks for the help.

John
Grenada West Indies

Thats generally what I do.....Find the median and split it there. Place the shorter side on a little later so they finish out at about the same time.

Jim

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Was the shorter end closer to your heat source like jcam222 jcam222 mentioned? But if you're talking about a full rack of spare ribs...

20220626_144341.jpg

Here's what my ribs look like... not the beef ribs in upper left, but the 4 smaller pieces are what got trimmed off. I put mine on the same time as my full rack... Chef snacks!

Ryan

Was the shorter end closer to your heat source like jcam222 jcam222 mentioned? But if you're talking about a full rack of spare ribs...

View attachment 659785

Here's what my ribs look like... not the beef ribs in upper left, but the 4 smaller pieces are what got trimmed off. I put mine on the same time as my full rack... Chef snacks!

Ryan

This is my go-to method too! I either save the tips/trimmings for beans, or treat the pitmaster with a little snack along the way!

Red

Reactions: Brokenhandle
It's the thickness more than anything else. You could angle them if you wanted but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck

If you're buy 3 packs of spares , the one hidden in the middle can be not as good as the rest . This could have been trimmed out , but that was the trim line .
1678553986762.jpeg

I just cook them as normal . Switch end to end a couple times .

Pull back evens it out .
1678554104648.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: DRKsmoking
When you are starting with a full slab of belly ribs, I locate the longest bone and use that as a guide to cut a St Louis rack which is more rectangular in shape. Then I take the backside flap, and the brisket (or rib tips) and cook them separately.

eBgHnyJ.jpg

Welcome John from Nova Scotia,
Also love your country, been there once and loved all we saw.

They have you covered above , but I also never really had an issue with the ribs that way , but like Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle said you can trim and that becomes property of the cook . Chef snacks

David

Thanks all! I use a vertical Masterbuilt MB20051316 Propane Smoker, so I can't control heat hitting the meat horizontally from one end or the other. I guess, unless I hung them from hooks with the short side up. I appreciate all the comments about Grenada! It's a beautiful island. I've enclosed a pic of the ribs.

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 13
First off ribs look great.

I also have a Masterbuilt vertical gas smoker. Cooked lots of ribs horizontal and not really an issue Yet, lol
Did you find the narrow end dryer then the wider end ?

I think if you hung the ribs you would find the closer end would be dryer then the other, but I have not done them this way.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky