Dartmouth men's basketball team files paper to unionize.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012

My only question is WHY? The article doesn't mention their reason, and since it's from our local station. The link will probably disappear in a couple of days. What are they expecting to gain. Less practice time, hotter showers, or better travel arrangements.

Give me a break, and this is an Ivy league school.
Chris

• Haha
Reactions: crazymoon
Free tuition and monthly stipend is not enough I guess. With NIL money being paid out now, amateur athletes are no longer a thing at colleges. Wish my middle school age kids got some $ for sports. I'm tired of paying for it.

Reactions: gmc2003
Wish my middle school age kids got some $ for sports. I'm tired of paying for it.

I remember those days. We traveled all thru New England with my daughters softball teams. By the time she graduated high school she'd burned out on softball and had no interest in playing college ball. Dad was a little disappointed, but my wallet was happier than heck.

Chris

I remember those days. We traveled all thru New England with my daughters softball teams. By the time she graduated high school she'd burned out on softball and had no interest in playing college ball. Dad was a little disappointed, but my wallet was happier than heck.

Chris
Same experience here. My daughter started college this year. After years of travel ball and high school team she was burnt out and just wanted to worry about school. I was a little bummed but completely understood. And my wallet sure didn't mind either lol.

Free tuition and monthly stipend is not enough I guess. With NIL money being paid out now, amateur athletes are no longer a thing at colleges.
That’s largely true, but the Ivy League schools don’t provide athletic scholarships-they’re the only division 1 schools whose conference rules prohibit it. Which makes this all the more strange. And it’s not like Dartmouth basketball is bringing in millions in ticket sales and TV revenue.

My only question is WHY? The article doesn't mention their reason, and since it's from our local station. The link will probably disappear in a couple of days. What are they expecting to gain. Less practice time, hotter showers, or better travel arrangements.

Give me a break, and this is an Ivy league school.
Chris
Yep, must be looking for better working conditions

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
It would make them employees of Dartmouth, that's the reason. I find it sad. This is the type of thing that force schools to drop most sports.

With the education college seems to be providing these days, those kids better get all the money they can, because they'll be just prepared enough to possibly flip burgers after they graduate. College is becoming a huge scam.

I see the Dartmouth men's basketball team is filing a petition to unionize to negotiate for better compensation, working conditions, a greater voice in the decision-making process that affects their lives as athletes and so on, but smth tells me it doesn't work so...:emoji_thinking::emoji_confounded:

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Everybody gets a trophy is a disease that has become everybody gets a paycheck even if they are producing nothing. I am sure this team is a big money maker for the college lol. They are being taught Marxism and communism so they think they deserve everything for not a dang thing.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
At one time long ago the Ivy League schools allowed student and faculty to be on the sports teams. Even the custodians qualified to play.

It was all about camaraderie and sportsmanship. That’s all gone now.
Edited for accuracy in content.

Last edited:
But there are only 8
You are correct sir:
“… likely derives from the popular 19th-century ceremony of "planting the ivy," an evergreen plant symbolic of enduring growth, on college and university campuse“
No clue where I heard 9. Maybe confused with Radcliffe and Harvard merging.

Last edited:
IV is Roman numeral for 4.
Ok,,, now that 'splains my bad memory.
Four original schools:
"Some theorize that Ivy is actually a misnomer and the league was originally called the IV League because it consisted of four schools: Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Dartmouth"

It may have been an old National Geographic article I read way back in school that I remember wrong.

I still can't figure out what Super Bowl it is by the Roman Numerals:

2023/24 Super Bowl LVI​

Last edited:
This and paying NCAA players will be the downfall of college sports. If they get paid then the cost of the scholarship (tuition) should be taxed as income.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky