Dang stall!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mofatguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 31, 2019
Missouri
Smoking a couple yard birds with my masterbuilt at 275 degree.
Been stalled at 151-152 for the last 45 minutes.
Been on for 3 1/2 hours. Did reach 140 in about 2 hours or so.

First time smoking a yard bird. Are stalls normal with whole chicken?

Won't let it go much longer b4 pulling and finishing in stove. Getting hungry.

Checked with thermopop in a different spot. Temp probe is correct

Now down to 150 due to checking. 4hours in on smoke.

Pulled and in oven to finish.

New at this masterbuilt smoker. Anyone have and idea what went wrong? Everything I read said I should have had them done in 2-2.5hrs.
I did have a drip pan underneath. There was about 2" on the ends open and about 1/2" front and back.
Used the chip tray for smoke.

Was you tracking chamber temp with a probe that was verified accurate? Or going off the smoker temp gauge?

Smoker temp gauge. Don't know that I can set temp any higher than 275 on the masterbuilt?

It's done now. Finished in oven. Carving up now.

Smoker temp gauge. Don't know that I can set temp any higher than 275 on the masterbuilt?

It's done now. Finished in oven. Carving up now.

Not going to help ya now, but a lot of stock temp gauges are off by a good bit! So for future, I’d highly suggest getting a good temp with a few probes. Inkbirk sells some nice ones at a reasonable price. That way you can accurately track chamber temp and the IT of what your cookin! Just keep in mind, probes can go bad, just do the boiling water test every couple smokes to verify they are still working.
One other thing I’ve been doing for a while is spatchcocking whole birds... they cook faster and more even heat to the whole bird!

Like said above the temp gauges that come with most smokers are pretty useless. I don't know why. You can replace it with a better one like a Tru Temp, but using a remote like an Inkbird or Maverick is best. You were cooking much lower than you thought.

Yeah, I have a good chamber probe, just didn't pit it in since I had it set at 275.

Can I run the temp up higher on the digital thermostat on the masterbuilt without hurting it?

Still trying to learn this thing. Obviously haven't done much with it yet.

On a side note the chicken was good. Should've taken pics but had hungry family to feed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky