Dakota German hot dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rc4u

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 4, 2015
this is not my story but similar. in early 1960's ect.. i think from sausage makers site..
Dakota's Best Hot Dog Recipe The best hot dog I ever ate was made in an old fashioned butcher shop in our town out on the plains of North Dakota,{like Anamoose, harvey, rugby, fessenden, and more}. Growing up, I was surrounded by the German recipes and traditions that were brought to our area by our early immigrants.
This is one of those recipes. It's as close to the original as time and research will allow it to be. I remember it as being made with a combination of beef and pork, and that's the way I do it now.
It is perfectly O.K. to use all of one kind or the other though. Recipe 2 lbs lean beef chuck and 3 lbs lean pork shoulder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground mace
1 tablespoon ground white pepper (can substitute black)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground dried marjoram
i cup non-fat dried milk powder
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon #1 cure (prague powder or Instacure)
1 cup ice water
1. Cube the meat, refrigerate it for 30 minutes, then grind it at least twice through the finest plate on your meat grinder. You may find it easier to grind if you chill it between grindings.
2. Mix all the spices and cure and incorporate them with the egg whites into the ground meat. Allow the mixture to cool in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes, and then grind it one more time through your fine grinding plate.
3. In small batches, adding the ice water as needed, emulsify the meat mixture in your food processor. Click Here for Emulsifying Directions.
4. Stuff the emulsified sausage into large sheep casings or small pork casings, and ready them for the meat smoker. Click Here for directions on smoking sausage.
5. If you use collagen casings, be sure they are the kind made especially to be used in the smoke house. Traditionally, wieners don't have a heavy smoke flavor. I find using one pan of wood chips and applying the smoke for only the first 60 to 90 minutes of the cooking/curing process is about right.
You can also finish this "best hot dog recipe" by cooking them in simmering (180-200 degree F) water until they reach 152 degrees internally. If you choose this method, add 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke to the meat mixture when you add the rest of the spices.

Last edited:
this is not my story but similar. in early 1960's ect.. i think from sausage makers site..
Dakota's Best Hot Dog Recipe The best hot dog I ever ate was made in an old fashioned butcher shop in our town out on the plains of North Dakota,{like Anamoose, harvey, rugby, fessenden, and more}. Growing up, I was surrounded by the German recipes and traditions that were brought to our area by our early immigrants.
This is one of those recipes. It's as close to the original as time and research will allow it to be. I remember it as being made with a combination of beef and pork, and that's the way I do it now.
It is perfectly O.K. to use all of one kind or the other though. Recipe 2 lbs lean beef chuck and 3 lbs lean pork shoulder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground mace
1 tablespoon ground white pepper (can substitute black)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground dried marjoram
i cup non-fat dried milk powder
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon #1 cure (prague powder or Instacure)
1 cup ice water
1. Cube the meat, refrigerate it for 30 minutes, then grind it at least twice through the finest plate on your meat grinder. You may find it easier to grind if you chill it between grindings.
2. Mix all the spices and cure and incorporate them with the egg whites into the ground meat. Allow the mixture to cool in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes, and then grind it one more time through your fine grinding plate.
3. In small batches, adding the ice water as needed, emulsify the meat mixture in your food processor. Click Here for Emulsifying Directions.
4. Stuff the emulsified sausage into large sheep casings or small pork casings, and ready them for the meat smoker. Click Here for directions on smoking sausage.
5. If you use collagen casings, be sure they are the kind made especially to be used in the smoke house. Traditionally, wieners don't have a heavy smoke flavor. I find using one pan of wood chips and applying the smoke for only the first 60 to 90 minutes of the cooking/curing process is about right.
You can also finish this "best hot dog recipe" by cooking them in simmering (180-200 degree F) water until they reach 152 degrees internally. If you choose this method, add 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke to the meat mixture when you add the rest of the spices.
Here is what I don’t like about this recipe:
1) I do not like volumetric sausage recipes. Too many problems with things like spoon sizes not being equal and the difference in kosher (3 different flake sizes from different manufacturers) and if someone substituted fine sea salt or canning salt it would change the recipe. Even the spices get dry and lose flavor by volume but not so much by weight, which is my preferred method. Weigh everything.

2) The salt is low in the 0.75% range with the cure salt added you are all in salt at about 1%. For safety this should be minimum of 1.5-1.75%
3) Mace at 1 Tbs per 5# is very high for my taste. At that level it would smack you in the face. I use mace in hotdogs and bologna at 0.5g/kg.

All that said, the recipe has all the flavors that make great bologna. To me the salt, cure, mace and white pepper make the flavor profile outstanding.

My basic bologna/hotdog recipe:

Per 1Kg meat
Salt- 1.8%
cure #1- 0.25%
mace- 0.5g/kg
Sugar- 5g/Kg
Gran garlic- 1.5g/Kg
Onion powder- 1.5g/kg
White pepper- 1.5g/Kg
Sodium erythorbate- 1g/kg
Phosphate- 0.4%

You have a great flavor profile in that recipe.

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not downing on your recipe. I don’t care for volumetric recipes and for me, some of the amounts are off, but like I said, you have a foundation there for very delicious hotdogs or bologna. It’s all there to make next level hotdogs.

i get it.. my gramma did not have gram scales or teaspoons or 1/4 cups ect .. she used her hand and was eventually converted by our aunts n mothers to measured items. which now is disputed for volume or weight.

i get it.. my gramma did not have gram scales or teaspoons or 1/4 cups ect .. she used her hand and was eventually converted by our aunts n mothers to measured items. which now is disputed for volume or weight.
Totally understand. Some of the best food I ever ate was made with pinches and shakes with handfuls. In other words they eye balled it. Was out of this world delicious.

Do you make this recipe? If so how is it? The flavor profile should be out of bounds good.

Not to hijack the thread, but we actually have a set of measuring spoons that have measurements like “a pinch”, or “a dash”, etc.
ED0BB7CE-0A68-4ECB-B7E7-E63733639CF0.jpeg

Cool huh!!
Al

rc4U
Thanks for sharing some family history and a family recipe. Your Gramma cooked like my mother measurements were approximate and to the taste of the cook! We always had a difficult time trying to replicate what she had done.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great to me ! Thanks for sharing the story and the formula .

I don't have the precision Al has , but I do use these .
1648564826273.jpeg

yes i made e'm twice and like e'm.. but today i am making my wifes preferred , len poli's garlic franks[i dont emulsify]. and tomorrow, or few days, the Wisconsin brats. i have a fridge in my shop that i keep at 30 degrees so meat is always fresh n easy to slice but takes more than a week to get soft enough if frozen first.. blood starts to freeze at 28 degrees.
this is site i copied this and other recipes from, in past Sausage Making Made Fun and Easy (lets-make-sausage.com)

Do you make this recipe? If so how is it? The flavor profile should be out of bounds good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky