cutting propane tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rodgea

Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
What would be best for cutting a propane tank I have an angle grinder and a sawzall.

If you're not familiar with the dangers of cutting a propane tank I'd ask somebody who is. I understand they can get rather violent if not properly cleaned out before you start cutting.

First fill it with dawn and water let sit for a week drain and rinse fill with water and soap again let sit for another week then rinse again fill with water one last time and cut with a grinder you will go through to many blades with a saws all

Bamaboy has you in the right direction. My BIL also adds 10# of dry ice for every 100 gallons of tank. The CO2 will push any residual gases out. Keep in mind propane is heavier then O2 and will collect in lower areas. Cutoff wheel is the way to go. The ones I have seen cut they will draw out the line to cut, then score the line with the wheel and repeat process. They say it saves the blade and you get a cleaner cut.

I've cut plenty of propane tanks and this is how I do it the problem with propane is it pits into the tank witch causes gas packets in it the dawn draws them out so it won't explode when you cut and grinder doesn't cause as much heat as a tourch

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky