Curing brine for Canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kenscharlach

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Hi all, accidentally doubled my brine mixture for the amount of pork loin I have. Am I right in thinking it’s still ok to brine for the five days as the liquid/curing salt/salt ratios are still the same as if I had made less? Thoughts?
Many thanks,
Ken

That sounds correct to me, a dry brine would be to much nitrates , some of the folks who know this inside out will be a long soon, wasted a little bit of ingredients is the only thing I see wrong, could run back out and buy some more meat :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: JC in GB
Hi all, accidentally doubled my brine mixture for the amount of pork loin I have. Am I right in thinking it’s still ok to brine for the five days as the liquid/curing salt/salt ratios are still the same as if I had made less? Thoughts?
Many thanks,
Ken

If you are doing an equilibrium brine, the amount of water makes little difference as long as there is enough to cover the meat.

JC :emoji_cat:

That sounds correct to me, a dry brine would be to much nitrates , some of the folks who know this inside out will be a long soon, wasted a little bit of ingredients is the only thing I see wrong, could run back out and buy some more meat :emoji_laughing:
Thanks Mike. Kinda what I thought too

As a Canadian I take offense to the term Canadian Bacon!! It is called Peameal Bacon in Canada!
Not really offended, but we do call it Peameal in Canada.
Zw_o5HQmJYLHgULT8ym7_w8TlL3iMpP7EwE2oPc&height=228.jpg

Well, we don't cover it in split peas.. and we smoke it....

Update::: from epicurious...
Peameal is not made with peas anymore. Like most aspects of life, ranging from food to plastic, peameal is being taken over by corn. We make our peameal with dried yellow peas crushed in the processor. The purpose of peas or cornmeal is to wick and dry, thus preventing spoilage. You will let the meat brine for a minimum of four full days, ninety-six hours, in the fridge. It is necessary to have a brine injector; they sell them nowadays for under ten bucks in big stores.

Reactions: Hamdrew
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky