Cure for lack of air flow in the Traegers snuffing out smoke tubes/trays?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papa g

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
St. Louis Metro Area
I've read where people are using smoke tubes and trays for extra smoke and until my last smoke I have been unsuccessful to get mine to stay lit no matter where I put the smoke tray. It would seem the moving air would make it burn faster but I think the problem was lack of air flow.

Finally, I decided to remove the rubber grommet for a thermometer probe and it cured my problem with the smoke tray going out. Guess it needed that air flow to keep it burning. I called Traeger today to make sure there are no issues with removing the grommet and it's perfectly fine.

So if you are having issues with keeping our smoke tubes/trays lit, try removing the rubber grommet.

This is a great place! I just had this problem yesterday and was wondering what the trouble was.

Thanks for posting.

I'm going to give it another shot this weekend to see if the air flow was the issue. Out of 4-5 times using the smoke tray it went out each time.  Hope it works for you. Makes me wonder why they don't put closable air vents on the left side of the smoker. Guess one could modify it themselves too. Let me know if it works for you.

>It would seem the moving air would make it burn faster but I think the problem was lack of air flow.

All of the air pulled in from the fan is routed through the fire pot. So even though there is very good airflow, there is not much 02 left. Most folks don't have any problems keeping tubes lit, but trays are a different story. 

Reactions: papa g
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky