Cure 1 question again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smoked for color (cherry/pecan) with a sous vide finish.

Hanging out to bloom after a cold water bath.

1665786167441.png

1665786215716.png

Cure #1 is important but salt percentage is also important. Cure #1 at .25% and salt at a minimum of 1.5% will be safe beyond the 4 hours but the higher the salt percentage the safer it is.

I souse vide all my sausage naked in the water, temp set at 151F no need to be higher.

Make sure to let your mixed meat rest at least 24 hours for the cure to do the job. Also the time needed for the spices to meld in the meat.
I'm all for giving things over night to meld, but mixing in a cure accelerator (sodium erythorbate) will allow you to smoke right after stuffing if you want to rush things.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Another great idea for controlling the amount of smoke. Never thought about finishing in a pot of water. Do you put any seasoning in the water, and does the water get into the sausage? We always throw sausage in our crawfish boils so that gives a lot of options for imparting flavor.

Great looking sausage, is that a bit of cheese in the middle?
It is. This was a run of jalapeno cheddar sausage, which is a favorite of mine. I did cold smoke with dust only, and they were almost too smoky .... the smoke flavor was right up in your face smoky, but they were good.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky