Crossbow review (can't think of a better place)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coyote-1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Just because I don't want to sign up for another forum to simply post my review, maybe some will find this useful.

Got a Hon Shuieh 150lb crossbow for Xmas. They make the same model with a variety of buttstock configurations. Mine has the metal hollow buttstock. Anyway, there are reviews on various sites that say this is junk.

I disagree.

For a hundred bucks you can't expect it to be as feature-laden as a $700 compound xbow. But it is decently made, powerful, and very accurate. It comes with a stringer, a scope, and 7 bolts. So far I'm only using the peep sights at 25 yards, and I'm routinely hitting the 3-inch dots on the target.

It's just like smokers... you can spend $2K on a Lang, and really not produce much better food than on a CharGriller SP. Once you've spent enough to get decent tools, the remainder is up to the user.

So I recommend spending $400 or more on a compound bow if you have the extra $$$.... if you don't but want a good functional xbow, the $100 Hon Shuieh will work fine.

Thanks for the info... I've been thinking about getting a bow, just do not know what kind to start with. Your post helps me out a lot!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Glad to help!
But I need to qualify what I wrote. I got this one as a gift, with an under-$125 spending limit. And I'm very happy with it.

But were I to buy one for myself, I'd spend the extra and go for a compound bow. The Hortons look like a great deal.

Any Idea where to find one of these Coyote? I have been wanting a cross bow for our 2 week crossbow season and don't want to spend much dough.

Thanks for the review. The only cross bow that I've ever owned was one I made in high school. I'd really like to have one, but rarely get to hunt any more and with the kids grown no competition in the house.

I really like the compounds, but mine is way outdated. The new high let off is unreal and feels like you could hold them all day long. But again same rules apply so I spend my money on bbq'n these and don't get to do that as much as I'd like either.

But yes if you can afford it spend more. If not you can still get some pretty good stuff if you look around. This review leads the way for a decent cross bow if you're in the market for a less expensive one.

I appreciate this kind of info too. I only hunt during rifle season but thats by choice. Once Kansas passes the cross-bow deal im gonna check into that. Bassakwards state here. Thank you.

I dont shoot a crossbow but do shoot a compound. I paid about 340.00 for mine it shoots just as well as a 800.00-1000.00 bow. The bottom pic is 4 arrows at 30yds, this was about a month after I bought it. Just keep up the practice and you'll be shooting out 50-60 yds soon.

Nice grouping!

I've considered getting a compound bow. Maybe one day soon.... I have a 55-lb draw wood recurve bow that was given me by an uncle 37 years ago. Used that for the two deer I took back then. Both shots were within 20 yards. I don't practice with it anymore because it's beautiful, but so old I don't want it to break. The crossbow is just for fun; I don't expect to ever hunt with it.

meatereater
What brand and model of compund is that?

I have been looking a compound bows and want to get into it, but it always seems there is just one more gun to purchase. I need to just do it, or as I mentioned to coyote-1; ND doesn't allow crossbows unless a doctor prescribes it for medical reasons. Thinking about having a talk with me chiropractor so I can legally shoot both !!!

I forgot that part. Its a Bass Pro Kronik, Its made by Diamond to BPS specs. If you go to BPS website they have a kyrptik, kryptik pro, kronik, toxic, and 2 others I cant remember the name of. Diamond is a division of Bowtech, both well respected companies. Hope this helps.

Ive been hunting with a crossbow for severa years now. Its legal in Tn so I ave had a few of them and of them all the Excalibur is the best for the money and probably one of the best of them all. They offer sveral models and I currently own the Pheonix and my 12 year old has a Vixen. Both are recurve bows which means they dont have the cams or wheels on them. Both are excellent bows and I would recomend them to anyone. Search on some of teh hunting websites and ebay and you can get used ones for around 300 sometimes less and sometimes a little more
Basspro for 500.00
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_450-1-0

That's how I feel about it, once I can no longer pull a compound, I'll get a xbow. That said, I love my Mathews Switchback, it is one sweet shooting, deer killing machine.

Coyote, thanks for the review and congrats.

Being in the nuisance wildlife control business I had a dual role for a crossbow, both for hunting deer and for shooting nuisance beaver where a shotgun wasn't allowed or feasable. And ya better have accurate equipment and be a really, really good shot to shoot beaver swimming in water...lol Any way for my dual purposes I decided on a Horton, Explorer XL 150 with Red Dot scope. After doing some research I found this to be the best deal for me at an affordable price. I have never been disappointed and have had it for a number of years now.

One of the things you have to be careful of is "noise" created when shooting the bow. Yes, they do make noise. Most of the cheaper crossbows/bows make an excessive amount of noise when fired even with quieting devices suck as Limb Savers. I have seen a number of slow motion videos showing a bow being shot at a deer along with the noise it produced only to have the deer actually hear the noise and "believe this or not" duck the bolt/arrow. Yes, it does happen!!!
That's one of the reasons why I stay away from the cheaper models. I feel that when I shoot any animal I owe it a quick, clean killing shot and to have it possibly duck a bolt/arrow due to noise and possibly just wound an animal is unacceptable to me.

Although I use a 150 lb. draw for my applications I would suggest most people should use a 175 lb. draw. The kinetic energy with a crossbow is not the same as a compound bow.

Here are pics of my Hortons crossbow.

Here is a link to Hortons and I am not affiliated with them in any manner.
http://www.crossbow.com/explorerhd150crossbow

Hope this helped someone....and happy hunting!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That's a nice lookin' xbow.

And indeed, 'long' bows (for this purpose, all long, recurve, and compound bows) generate more kinetic energy than xbows. It's a longer arrow with more mass, and the bow uses a longer powerstroke. My old wood recurve gives me @ 250fps using 125 grain broadheads. This new xbow gives @ 215fps with field points. Obviously, the arrow fired by the recurve will have significantly more energy.

I can still draw the recurve pretty easily, but I usually don't because I want to preserve it. Compound bows are easy to draw by comparison.... but I'm still not sure I'd want that tangle of cables and pulleys while hunting. They don't lend themselves to easy field service if there's a problem - the only problem I could have with the recurve (beside the bow itself eventually giving out) would be a damaged bowstring - that can be replaced in a minute.

Myself I have the Hortons Realtree 175 it was the best buy for my money at the time. Exclibur would be next my purchase when I replace what I have. You may also want to check your local laws as here in Michigan they can only be rated at 350 fps for hunting purposes any thing over is not allowed even thought they sell them here at higher fps. Also use your internet to compare and see reviews on the cross bows you thinking of purchasing. I got my thru addictedtoacrhery.com I think is the web site. I saved like $100 as to ordering from a big box sporting goods store.

Hey Coyote, ain't nothin easy to fix these days....lmao
Just look at the store cashiers (and this actually happened to me). She rang up my purchase on the computer register and then it quit. On approx. a $10 purchase and I gave her $20, she couldn't figure out my change!!! People have gotten very lazy these days and have forgotten the days where you had to use your brain and or braun to get things done. I myself enjoy doing things the modern easy lazy way, but can still draw on the old ways if need be. The younger people today don't have a clue what to do when their puters or modern technology break down.
And so the vicious cycle continues!!!! lmao
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Great thread! I love to bowhunt. I am currently using a Reflex compound that is the most forgiving bow I've ever held. I do like the Matthews bows, but for my dollar the Reflex makes sense.

Crossbows are notoriously loud as mentioned before. One of my buddies had a problem with his shoulder and he was allowed to hunt with one before they became legal in Texas for everyone. He had a Horton, and his favorite stand was in a clearing at the bottom of a bowl under wooded hills all around. One of my stands was on a hilltop about 250 yards away and I heard every shot he took.

I had to give up my lease this year due to economy induced unemployment, and I really miss it. Crap, I'm gonna break out the bow and do some back yard stump shootin'. Maybe I'll take the dog down to the Trinity River and shoot some gar...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky