Creole VS Cajun Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I looked at about 10 recipes for each and they are pretty close here is one of each for you to look at 

Creole
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]2 tablespoons onion powder[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]2 tablespoons garlic powder[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]2 tablespoons dried sweet basil[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]1 tablespoon black pepper[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]1 tablespoon white pepper[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]1 tablespoon cayenne pepper[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]1 tablespoon celery seed[/font]
  • [font=verdana,arial,helvetica]5 tablespoons sweet paprika[/font]
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Cajun[/font]
  • 2 tablespoons  paprika
  • 1 tablespoon  salt
  • 1 tablespoon  black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons  garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons  onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons  ground red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon  dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon  dried thyme
I highlighted the differences in red as those are the ingredients that differ in the recipes I found 

Thanks for the replies guys.  Thanks Scar, that helps, and thank you Craig that was very interesting, never knew anything like that before.

The difference between Creole and Cajun is:    Anger a Creole and he will remove his glove and slap you in the face with it.    Anger a Cajun and he will use you for alligator bait.

I always heard the Creoles thought the Cajuns made everything too spicy.

The Cajuns said the Creoles just don't season their meat?

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
Did you get that recipe from the Gumbo Pages? That is such a great site, they have a crap ton of awesome authentic recipes and the author has some pretty witty banter. If you haven't checked it out yet and you love Cajun/Creole cooking then you definitely should. His gumbo recipe is awesome.

You basically answered your own question. The ingredients make it different. Also if you look at the ingredients Creole is much spicier

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky