Creamy Shrimp, Scallop and Cheese Grits...Picture lite.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
So very sorry about this thread only having a one picture, but I was more concerned with making this dish then doing a tutorial. After a fantastic afternoon watching my grandson. My wife and I came home and decided to go for it. Well HOT DAMN i'm glad we did.

Ingredients:
32oz of Chicken Broth
2 chicken Bouillon cubes
1lb. uncooked shrimp
1/2lb dry scallops
12oz. bacon
1/2 pint of half-n-half
1 level cup of Quaker Oats 5 min. grits
16oz Freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
A few cuts of green onions for appearance
Unknown quantity of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

In a nutshell. I basically cooked the bacon. Then w/o draining the grease I cooked the shrimp and scallops in the grease. Next I brought the chicken broth with the bouillon cubes to a boil. Added grits and turned the heat to low. Stirring every 2 minutes. Once I had the consistency I was looking for I added the cheese. Half-n-Half was then added to maintain desired thickness. At this point I added salt and pepper to taste. When I was at my happy place with the grits I folded in bacon crumbles, a couple of tablespoons of bacon grease, all but 8 of the shrimp and 6 of the scallops. Spoon it into a bowl and topped each bowl with 3 scallops and 4 shrimp. Sliced up some green onion for presentation and veggie. This was a total hit with the wife and I. Most definitely doing this again. Except next time I'll probably add some lobster to the mix.

DSC02952.JPG

Thanks for taking a look, and thanks to all of the SMF family who provided me with their guidance and expertise in the fine art of making Grits.

Chris

So very sorry about this thread only having a one picture, but I was more concerned with making this dish then doing a tutorial. After a fantastic afternoon watching my grandson. My wife and I came home and decided to go for it. Well HOT DAMN i'm glad we did.

Ingredients:
32oz of Chicken Broth
2 chicken Bouillon cubes
1lb. uncooked shrimp
1/2lb dry scallops
12oz. bacon
1/2 pint of half-n-half
1 level cup of Quaker Oats 5 min. grits
16oz Freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
A few cuts of green onions for appearance
Unknown quantity of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

In a nutshell. I basically cooked the bacon. Then w/o draining the grease I cooked the shrimp and scallops in the grease. Next I brought the chicken broth with the bouillon cubes to a boil. Added grits and turned the heat to low. Stirring every 2 minutes. Once I had the consistency I was looking for I added the cheese. Half-n-Half was then added to maintain desired thickness. At this point I added salt and pepper to taste. When I was at my happy place with the grits I folded in bacon crumbles, a couple of tablespoons of bacon grease, all but 8 of the shrimp and 6 of the scallops. Spoon it into a bowl and topped each bowl with 3 scallops and 4 shrimp. Sliced up some green onion for presentation and veggie. This was a total hit with the wife and I. Most definitely doing this again. Except next time I'll probably add some lobster to the mix.

View attachment 629185

Thanks for taking a look, and thanks to all of the SMF family who provided me with their guidance and expertise in the fine art of making Grits.

Chris
Chris, you nailed it man. That looks exactly like it should. Perfect execution!

Attachments

• download (8).jpeg
    download (8).jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 11
Chris, you nailed it man. That looks exactly like it should. Perfect execution!
Thanks Ringer, I was taken back at how good these grits were. I can't wait to try them with true grits. Appreciate the kind words and like.

Chris

Looks spot on and delicious Chris. Just wait till you try the full strength grits lol. Check out geechie boy grits. They are ground in south Carolina but our local Cajun spot uses them and they are my favorite by far. Nice work bud
images (1).jpeg

Looks spot on and delicious Chris. Just wait till you try the full strength grits lol. Check out geechie boy grits. They are ground in south Carolina but our local Cajun spot uses them and they are my favorite by far. Nice work budView attachment 629189
Appreciate the kind words Jake. Up until a few days ago I didn't even know grits were made from corn. The last time I visited my daughter in Georgia I missed my opportunity to try grits. We bagged going out to dinner and had dad(me) bbq the whole week.

Yes sir, you will be able to tell the difference. In cooking time but more importantly mouth feel and taste.
Thanks Ringer. Are true grits rougher or smoother. These had the mouth feel of oatmeal or creamy mashed potatoes. Best description I can think of.

Chris

Are true grits rougher or smoother.
Real grits will still give you that creaminess and smoothness but you will get a better corn taste and toothy-ness if that makes sense. They will be a little more al dente but not crunchy. Kind of like a well cooked tiny pasta. You will be able to tell the difference but those 5 minute quaker Oats grits will do in a bind. I have used them plenty.

Next time if you want to try the real deal look for any stone ground grits.

Appreciate the kind words Jake. Up until a few days ago I didn't even know grits were made from corn. The last time I visited my daughter in Georgia I missed my opportunity to try grits. We bagged going out to dinner and had dad(me) bbq the whole week.

Thanks Ringer. Are true grits rougher or smoother. These had the mouth feel of oatmeal or creamy mashed potatoes. Best description I can think of.

Chris
They will be thicker with more of a course mouth feel

Thanks guys.

Chris

Well dang man...you made them look so good I may have to try them as well! Great job!

Ryan

Reactions: gmc2003
That looks awesome, Chris! Everything looks perfectly cooked, and excellent steps descriptions. Great job.

Wow! Only one picture needed! Awesome, awesome! Shrimp and grits is 100% one of my favorites, but I visit places where I can get some that are legit. I need to do this one when I can eat normal again next month. Big points!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky