Craigslist Find

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I just bought a pellet smoker because I didn’t want to babysit a stick burner and then this shows up in the neighborhood for $150. Is this a stick burner or is it a charcoal/wood chunk burner? Am I a fool for even considering it?

Looks to be in alright shape. The barn dust should clean off with a good power washing. This is the only picture other than an old Oklahoma Joes badge on it with no info.
E58842C3-3680-4AB5-AD91-EED1CD549F03.jpeg

Hah. Looks strangely like the OK joe I just picked up. It'll burn either charcoal/chunk, or stick, if it is what I said.

okjoe.jpg

And no, I didn't leave my smoker out in a snow/ice storm. It wasn't mine yet, but it was sitting in my driveway at the time. Long story.

Last edited:
OP, that's one of the new OKJoe's. You can tell by the two piece bolt together firebox. If it's a 16" Dia. I'd call it more a charcoal and chunks pit. If it's a 20" it will be easier to burn sticks but the way the firebox door fits in that 2 piece you will have to load the sticks thru the top door.

It remains to be seen, but OK Joe does recommend wood as the fuel source for smoking, at least in the Highland like I have sitting here. I've not lit the first fire in it yet, so I have no opinion as to how well it runs with splits vs charcoal/chunks. I will find out soon enough, though.

From the manual:
"Either charcoal
or wood may be used, but wood is the recommended
fuel for it's rate of burn and the flavor it imparts to the
food being cooked."

My OKJ cost me a mere $75 on a crazy Walmart closeout. Best $75 I’ve ever spent. There are definitely flaws and it’s not gold standard 1/4” steele but it has cooked countless pounds of delicious bbq over the last few years. I have found that with simply adding a gasket around the poking chamber opening was all the modification I felt was required. My biggest suggestion for you is to invest in spray canola oil cans in bulk. If you spray that all over the firebox before or during each cook you will find the effect like seasoning a cast iron pan will keep the rust at bay. I wish I had done that from the beginning. Also use a cover when it’s not in use. Congrats.
G

Reactions: Marknmd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky