Cowboy Lump Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AllenRR

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Eagle, ID
Not sure where to put this one.
I buy this brand of lump, because it entertains me. Most of the time, it is an assortment of different size pieces. Occasionally, I get a bag with pieces that are like unsplit firewood. I know... I won the charcoal lottery. I love those because in my dgss1382vcs-d smoker, those are the key to amazing heat management. I fire them up in the chimney, and put them as far away from the firebox vent as possible. My smoker has been sitting right at 225 for almost 3 hours now. (OK..I have some pork shoulder wrapped in maple bacon going as we speak.) Anything that gives me more time to enjoy a cold one while the meat is getting to temp is a good thing.

I won’t use Cowboy lump, cause it just pops, and crackles, and basically explodes in the firebox. I stick with RO lump for steaks & briquettes in the offset to get a coal bed going, then just wood splits.
Al

Reactions: jcam222 and PPG1
I won’t use Cowboy lump, cause it just pops, and crackles, and basically explodes in the firebox. I stick with RO lump for steaks & briquettes in the offset to get a coal bed going, then just wood splits.
Al

I agree with Al:
I tried some Cowboy Lump years ago, when I had my Charcoal grill on my Deck. I thought it became the 4th of July. The Fireworks coming from my grill was Crazy. I was a nervous wreck until it stopped, and I kept a hose handy.
When I built my deck, I covered the ground with 4" of Wood Mulch first.
Imagine if the "Cowboy" sparks would have gotten between the deck boards, onto the mulch & started a fire!!!

Bear

If you are getting quality bags and it works for you that’s great. I usually get a lot of snap crackle pop with it. I only use B&B limp. Burns super clean and hot. Never has any scrap in it.

I’ve burned lots of different lump. It all snaps and pops. It’s moisture in the lump. I just figured it was all like that. The B&B mesquite lump really pops but so does mesquite wood in my experience. I’m in a super dry and high elevation climate though.

I tried one bag of Cowboy, I don't like the taste of the meat cooked over it.

I’ve burned lots of different lump. It all snaps and pops. It’s moisture in the lump. I just figured it was all like that. The B&B mesquite lump really pops but so does mesquite wood in my experience. I’m in a super dry and high elevation climate though.
Wonder if the climate impacts it? I’ve burned tons of B&B and never noticed much sparking and popping. I did have a bag of B&B hickory lump that did. I assumed it was because I had it stored on the floor and it got damp. I normally use the Oak lump

Wonder if the climate impacts it? I’ve burned tons of B&B and never noticed much sparking and popping. I did have a bag of B&B hickory lump that did. I assumed it was because I had it stored on the floor and it got damp. I normally use the Oak lump
Yeah, just dunno. All I do know is that when I start lump, of any kind, I put on my safety glasses (Oakley’s) because the popping sparks come at me and specially my face. I don’t mind really, it’s stops once they are lit well.

Reactions: jcam222
I buy this brand of lump, because it entertains me. Most of the time, it is an assortment of different size pieces. Occasionally, I get a bag with pieces that are like unsplit firewood. I know... I won the charcoal lottery. I love those because in my dgss1382vcs-d smoker, those are the key to amazing heat management. I fire them up in the chimney, and put them as far away from the firebox vent as possible. My smoker has been sitting right at 225 for almost 3 hours now. (OK..I have some pork shoulder wrapped in maple bacon going as we speak.) Anything that gives me more time to enjoy a cold one while the meat is getting to temp is a good thing.
I can see the level of negativity here. God Bless ya'll. I am going elsewhere. Bye.
From reading the replies, I realize that sourcing stuff you can buy right down the street is for losers (in your opinion.) Good luck with that ya'll. Smoking meat is an artistic thing. You folks want it to be easy and pleasant. It's about time, smoke, and temperature. If my charcoal pops and stuff...OK. It's part of the process. I am not a charcoal snob.

I can see the level of negativity here. God Bless ya'll. I am going elsewhere. Bye.

From reading the replies, I realize that sourcing stuff you can buy right down the street is for losers (in your opinion.) Good luck with that ya'll. Smoking meat is an artistic thing. You folks want it to be easy and pleasant. It's about time, smoke, and temperature. If my charcoal pops and stuff...OK. It's part of the process. I am not a charcoal snob.
SMF is a wealth of experience and knowledge from many years and many trials and tribulations. I, for one, don't get too butt hurt when I read about other's experiences that don't necessarily align with mine. It's all about taking in the info, compiling it, and trying to understand how it all affects me and my style. I may not agree, but I will be open minded...

Reactions: Bearcarver
All progress depends on failure, things don’t behave as expected, then we try to understand why and modify our approach or mitigate the negative consequences. I, for one, LOVE it when others’ experiences do not match mine … a learning opportunity. Once in a blue moon, maybe I get to contribute to that too. I don’t see any negativity absent personal attacks or derogatory comments, which I don’t see here.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky