Couple of questions about PitBoss Savannah Onyx

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
OK have a little bit of random things to ask on here about my Savannah Onyx smoker. First thing is that it ran hot at first like 10-15 degrees hotter then it said and now according to the same multiprobe thermometer it's running 10-15 degrees colder. Should I maybe try another probe thermometer or changing the batteries. Almost tempted as well to try the biscuit test this weekend since I have a couple of easy cooks planned.

Then the second thing is what am I doing wrong when it comes to grilling on my pellet grill/smoker. With this smoker/grill and my even embers I used to have I've never had any luck grilling on it. I always have a ton of smoked and huge flare-ups. Even though I always make sure the food is over the heat deflector plate so it has no chance to get in the firepot. It's a tad bit frustrating since that's supposed to be one of the unique things about. Planning on attempting a smoke this weekend that requires smoking then grilling but will have to fire up 2 different things to do it.

I don't have that smoker, but the RTD (what the controller looks at for the temp) is usually up and away from the grates.
So any readings you take at the grate will not be the same as what the controller thinks it is.
Also, controllers do have temp swings, some as much as 20f plus or minus.

As for your second issue, I'm not sure what you are saying when talking about embers.
For "grilling" I'm not sure what you are doing there.
Most pellet grills these days have a direct flame option so you can grill right over the flame.
If you are not doing that, I don't have a clue about the flareups if they are coming from the fire pot.

I don't have that smoker, but the RTD (what the controller looks at for the temp) is usually up and away from the grates.
So any readings you take at the grate will not be the same as what the controller thinks it is.
Also, controllers do have temp swings, some as much as 20f plus or minus.

As for your second issue, I'm not sure what you are saying when talking about embers.
For "grilling" I'm not sure what you are doing there.
Most pellet grills these days have a direct flame option so you can grill right over the flame.
If you are not doing that, I don't have a clue about the flareups if they are coming from the fire pot.
The first pellet grill I had was one from tractor supply the brand was even embers I think but on both pellet grills I've had I've never been able to actually grill on it. As soon as I attempt to up the temperature of the grill I have massive amounts of smoke and sometime flare-ups. I thought it was because of filling the grates full of meat and thought maybe I could just put food where the heat deflector plate was it would prevent it and it still doesn't. I had a pretty decent fire in it a couple of days ago attempting to grill some brats.

I'm baffled by the flareups.
If the deflector is over the fire box, no grease could get in there.
Could there be anything in the pellets that is getting in there ?
Have you removed the deflector and looked in the fire pot ?
Anytime you raise the temp you will get some smoke, and especially at startup.

Not sure pellet smoker/grills are designed to operate with the lid open. I'm not familiar with yours. Just a guess why your having flare ups.

Pellet smokers need to have lid closed unless it has a "Direct Flame" option and you are using it, then lid MUST be open.

When I'm grilling on it I'm doing it with the lid closed that's how I noticed the huge flare up was noticing a lot more smoke. It actually got so hot it looked like it burnt a little bit of the paint off. I'm probably for now just going to stick to smoking on it and grill on my gas grill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky