Costco Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
So, I wanted to try to make pastrami and was in the middle of the process of curing some buckboard bacon. I was at Costco and they had already brined corned beef. I have seen some threads where people soak the store bought corned beef in water to remove the salt so I thought why not give it a try. We are a low sodium family, the only salt we/I use is for curing bacon.

I soaked the corned beef is water for 3 days. First 3 hours, we were eating and cleaning up from dinner, I replaced the water every 30 minutes. Then for the following 3 days I changed the water 3 times a day, morning, midday, evening.

I tested the result in the refrigerator for 3 days uncovered. First day no spice, then added the pastrami blend from TNJAKE TNJAKE in his thread to make this same pastrami.

Then smoked on my rectec @ 180° for near 7 hours, when the IT was 145°. Rested and the rest is history.

The pastrami was very good, everyone really liked it, but it was still too salty. Next time I will make my own corned beef. There is one advantage to extra salty meat, more beer.

Some pics:
PXL_20230130_031339380.jpg

PXL_20230130_035236817.jpg

Man that looks good! I'm picturing some marble rye bread, Russian dressing, kraut, a slice of Swiss and a pickle spear on the side....
The Mrs. had to go on a low sodium diet a couple of years ago (and of course I had to go on it, too) and it's amazing how "salty" a lot of things are to us now.

Reactions: Nefarious
Man that looks good! I'm picturing some marble rye bread, Russian dressing, kraut, a slice of Swiss and a pickle spear on the side....
The Mrs. had to go on a low sodium diet a couple of years ago (and of course I had to go on it, too) and it's amazing how "salty" a lot of things are to us now.
Once the meat was cut it was a free for all. Both sons were there, and all of the sandwiches were made on a single one sandwich size panini press. We had both kraut and coleslaw with swiss cheese on Jewish rye bread. Next time I will make my own rye bread. Even though I tried to cook of the water from the sauerkraut, the bread was too thin to take on the remaining liquid. The sandwiches did not look good, only tasted good.

Forgot to mention, it was not a brisket, but was a top round. Sould have mentioned that in the start, sorry.
I thought that looked a little odd for a Corned Beef, but I figured it was just a really lean point. I've never seen that in a store, but then there are still a lot of things I've never seen.

I just did this last night with an Aldi corned beef, 4 hours of water changes and rubbed overnight. I took it to about 202 and it still seemed tough also lost at least 40% in size. I did not check the cut of meat though.

I love pastrami - and I mean I love it. There is probably nothing I miss more from growing up in NYC than pastrami. A very large stack of pastrami on rye with coleslaw and Swiss and some Russian dressing (a Rachel) is magical. I get lightheaded thinking about it.

Great effort - looks good!

Looks good.

I've made pastrami from brisket a number of times, but just cannot get enough salt out of it for my taste.

I could see that was a corned round. Corned round and pastrami from round is what one finds mostly in the deli section of your local grocer.
Was your piece fully cooked by chance before you started the process?

I just did this last night with an Aldi corned beef, 4 hours of water changes and rubbed overnight. I took it to about 202 and it still seemed tough also lost at least 40% in size. I did not check the cut of meat though.
That sounds to be a brisket. I don't shop at Aldo, but the few I have done with bagged brisket do lose a lot of moisture bulk.

Reactions: clifish
Looks good.

I've made pastrami from brisket a number of times, but just cannot get enough salt out of it for my taste.

I could see that was a corned round. Corned round and pastrami from round is what one finds mostly in the deli section of your local grocer.
Was your piece fully cooked by chance before you started the process?
No, it wasn't cooked. I couldn't tell from the packaging if it had cure #1 in it. The color seems to look like it, the taste seems like it, but I thought that the gov ref made them have to specify if it had cure?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky