corned venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
merto detroit, michigan
got 4 venison roasts that have been brining for 5 days. gonna smoke one for pastrami and freeze the rest. should i cook/smoke then freeze, or freeze right out the brine. thx in advance.

Even though the store bought corned brisket flats have a generous expiration date I have frozen them raw, then smoked later for pastrami. I could not tell a difference.

That said, you are going to fire up the smoker anyways to smoke one.... why not smoke them all in one batch? Now, if you want to keep one to cook as 'corned venison', you would freeze that one now and cook later.

When I do pork loins I cure , smoke to a safe to eat temp , then freeze .
When I'm ready , I'll thaw and do a double smoke .

Reactions: Bearcarver
I freeze things Raw, and I freeze things Completed.
I never have froze anything only done partially.

Bear

I freeze then smoke as needed. What IT you going to smoke them too. My last corned round smoked to 135 IT and makes excellent lunch meat when sliced thin.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky