Corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’ve bookmarked all this for some easy night reading. My first leap into this world was using flank steak and a dry rub. Turned out great for not having a clue what I was doing.
I have the thread bookmarked as well. No way do I understand much of it, but as I do it a few times will make it easier to understand the language.

I’ve bookmarked all this for some easy night reading. My first leap into this world was using flank steak and a dry rub. Turned out great for not having a clue what I was doing.
It will all come together before you know it. Keep notes so you know what you like and don't like. And feel to ask questions once you start shaping up a plan, or need to change a plan. For instance I'll be getting snow this weekend and have 2 loin hams sitting on 13 days. I'll just let them ride an extra couple of days and do my cold smoking on a sunny day.

The problem is, the weight of the spices.is not added into the weight calculation for salt and cure.
Sorry, I missed your posts.... had some early morning chores. SmokinEdge SmokinEdge has got your back. To be very precise, you should weigh everything that goes into the bucket, but most people don't because we use smaller amounts of brine. So meat and water are the important weights to start with.

I have the thread bookmarked as well. No way do I understand much of it, but as I do it a few times will make it easier to understand the language.

To throw one more log into the fire, once you try out your current corned beef project.... Consider corning a pork roast. Loins will work, I like butts better. But the bottom line is a different flavor profile, and a pork butt is a lot cheaper per pound.
Here is some corned butt, yes.... it looks like ham but ham is just cured, not corned with all those aromatics. Once smoked it's now Porkstrami.
GvzsuQf.jpg
For more bark I removed the blade bone and sliced and tied the roast in 3 pieces.
28AFcXb.jpg
AJuWzlp.jpg

Sorry, I missed your posts.... had some early morning chores. SmokinEdge SmokinEdge has got your back. To be very precise, you should weigh everything that goes into the bucket, but most people don't because we use smaller amounts of brine. So meat and water are the important weights to start with.
i wasn't totally thinking, trying to follow the plan. I was fortunate that i measured the spices and weighted them so my notes would all be metric. After I started thinking, and had a conversation with SmokinEdge SmokinEdge i realized I did have the weights and fixed it.

I feel really good today, started curing first corned beef and made second batch of bulk italian hot sausage.

Nice! SmokinEdge SmokinEdge has you all sorted out and looks like you are good to go!

It is becoming evident you are starting to pick it up when in the same day you do a corned beef product AND then do a sausage product in the same day hahaha.

It doesn't matter that there may not be cure in the sausage. What matters is that once you know how to do bulk sausage, it is easy to then mix up a cured sausage as you just add 1 more ingredient... cure#1.

Next you will be adding stuffing and smoking to your skillset. Heck you can make an unstuffed bologna sandwich block out of ground meat that has cure#1 added. You just form into a block and put it in the smoker and follow the sausage smoking process of bringing it up slowly until IT is like 152F.
You know how bologna in block form with no need to fool with stuffing, castings, etc. etc.

The journey can be one with lots of incremental steps or one of diving right in. It's a fun one either way :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky