Corned Beef & Turkey Pastrami From Scratch - Q-View-mania

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thoseguys26

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Aspen Valley
I haven't had pastrami for close to 10 years and to be honest it wasn't that memorable for me.  A new friend I made here on SMF convinced me that I absolutely have to make some pastrami. Not only did she convince me, she gave me her recipe for beef & turkey pastrami, homemade mustard & a DIY pastrami kit she put together with her own hands! Her kit came with the spices & cure for the brine, a super nice sealing container to cure it in and the dry rub to use before smoking. 

So, thank you Smokin Vegas for opening my eyes to Real Pastrami! 

Beef & Turkey Pastrami

Cure Brine

1/4 Cup          Kosher Salt

2 tsp               Cure #1

1/2 Cup          Brown Sugar

1 Tb                Garlic Powder

2 Tb                Pickling Spice (I recommend Ivie's - link above)

8 Cups            Spring Water

Trim your meat of thick pieces of fat. Beef Tri-tip is what I used and I'll be sticking to that cut because it was perfect. Mix all ingredients well and add your meet and make sure it's all covered by the brine. Inject some brine into the meat in a few places just to help the process.

Place in the fridge. Let beef cure in the brine for 10 days and the turkey for 5. I put my turkey breast in with my tri-tip for the last 5 days so I could smoke them together.

Remember to shake the container as often as you go in your fridge and each day it helps if you flip the meat over.

Dry Rub

Take the meat out. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry. I soaked mine in water for 40 minutes just to make sure it wasn't going to be too salty but I don't think it was necessary. 

Rub some extra virgin olive oil over the meat and then rub on Ivie's pastrami spice mix nice and thick.

To the Smoker

I smoked my 2 lb tri-tip around 230° for 5 1/2 hours and an IT of 160°. Now, I live at 5,400 ft altitude so if you're closer to sea level then your time will be quicker.

The turkey breast cooked at the same temp but only took about 3 hrs to reach 180° IT.

I used cherry wood dust in my A-Maze-N-Smoker.

I let both sit for a few minutes to see if any juices were going to run but nothing did so I sliced them up right away.

They are obviously different animals so they have a whole different flavor profile. Tri-Tip wins for me. The turkey was awesome too but I'm a red meat kinda guy. The complexity of all of the levels of flavor was amazing. The light smokey, rich beefy flavor was meant for the spices.. it really was so complex in flavor but everything made more then perfect sense. 

I'm no rookie when it comes to eating food all over the world and this was some of the best food I've eaten.

I highly recommend you go find some tri-tip and make some pastrami!  The ten day wait is not fun!

How bout some Q-View? !

Tri-Tips

2697aa9b_1.jpg

Dry Spices all measured up. Smells so good it's starting to make the mouth water... well it watered for 10 more days...

f7d0adca_2.jpg

The perfect brine container with a tight rubber seal.

4eca699c_3.jpg

Mmm

e591573a_4.jpg

Inject the brine in the center of the meat throughout the whole piece.

80b6eec7_5.jpg

Ready for the fridge.

54c08776_6.jpg

I had to chop off a little hunk of another tri-tip and throw it on the grill to test it out... alongside was some garlic bread, garlic mashed taters & white wine, cream caper sauce.

4189ddbe_7.jpg

Day 10! I almost took a bite out of it right then. 6 lbs of Elk jerky is ready for the smoker too!

f1e77161_8.jpg

Turkey Breast looks great.

79c4a2b0_9.jpg

Tri-tip looks great.

27839e1b_10.jpg

Rinsed and soaked for 30-40 minutes.

d4e1327c_12.jpg

Coated with EVOO and used a special pastrami spice mix for the rub

f3609f0f_13.jpg

Got the AMZNS going with cherry dust.

9bbea670_14.jpg

Turkey is done!

29bc670a_15.jpg

MMmm

83fbbf89_16.jpg

Unreal..

eb98f26b_16b.jpg

Scooted the tri-tip up top so my elk jerky could join in the fun.

fd344ba8_17.jpg

I hope this wasn't the result in beginners luck because it was perfect!

73ba067a_18.jpg

Dark Forest Rye, Habenero Havarti, yellow mustard & sauerkraut. Plus some cornichon's.

5cee5634_19.jpg

so good I had to make another..

f177b20b_20.jpg

jerky also came out great as usual.

a8909833_21.jpg

Lisa from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited sent my pack of vacuum bags just on time.

These bags with the zip lock on one side are super cool! and perfect for jerky.

79114c29_22.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like they came out really well! How do you like the turkey? I did some last weekend and didn't really care for it.

Looks like they came out really well! How do you like the turkey? I did some last weekend and didn't really care for it.
I thought it was a great piece of meat but maybe not worth the 5 day effort. We made a wrap, sandwiches, &  topped our salads, etc with it and it was really good but I think I'll stick with regular smoked breasts because they're quicker and easier.

The tri-tips were one of a kind deeelicious. I just wish I did all three and not just the one!

I thought it was a great piece of meat but maybe not worth the 5 day effort. We made a wrap, sandwiches, &  topped our salads, etc with it and it was really good but I think I'll stick with regular smoked breasts because they're quicker and easier.

The tri-tips were one of a kind deeelicious. I just wish I did all three and not just the one!
I agree, I will eat it but it just didn't seem like pastrami. I will stick with beef for that but I did do some pork and though it wasn't really strami either it does have a great flavor.

It's back on.  1 & 1/2 tri tips just started today in my magical brine. The GF said I should clear out the freezer(s).. I thought... sure that's my number 1 chore!  = smoke time!

Your pastrami looks awesome. I love tri tip, it's my favorite. What type of rub did you use? This is a must try, I've never thought to use tri tip.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks, that would be awesome.
It was pickling spice, Dried Ginger root, juniper berries, cinnamon stick, all spice and black peppercorns. All ground up in a spice grinder.
Looks awesome!!! Especially those sammies. 

On a side note, ivyandherbs.com doesn't seem to exist any longer.
Thanks, I ate 1-2 of those sammies each day until it was all gone.... 
biggrin.gif
  I edited this thread and took down the links for now.
points.gif
love the color
It's a beautiful thang!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky